linoleum on wood

pondering removal of some linoleum over wood

not sure what kind of damage the wood will suffer but i suspect that there will be some tear out in those place where the glue adheres more to the linoleum than to the wood

resigning that the wood may be a total loss

is there some magic solvent out there that will soak through the linoleum and allow it to be peeled up without tearing out the wood floor with it

Reply to
Electric Comet

I expect that you won't have a problem damaging the wood, the problem will be getting the residual adhesive off the wood.

What do you intend to put back?

Reply to
dadiOH

Might be able to heat the linoleum and the glue lets go. I have some on my old desk that dried out (xxx-rats) and now needs replacing. Cloth backing into glue. My old Ever-Last Navy desk.

Mart> pondering removal of some linoleum over wood

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Alas, the last sources for linoleum dried up years ago (it had asbestos, among other ingredients); I'm not aware of any similarly good writing/drawing surface available nowadays. Masonite/hardboard is close, but won't take a coffee spill.

wood has grain laminates/glass/metal are too hard vinyl is too soft

Reply to
whit3rd

never thought of this

will give it a try

have a good heat gun

Reply to
Electric Comet

whit3rd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Would sealing the Masonite help?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Armstrong seems to be laboring under the misconception that they are producing Linoleum in a variety of styles and colors.

Now obtaining it may be more difficult--they seem to be going the "only available to authorized installers" route.

If a swiss knock-off will do, you might try Marmoleum, which you can obtain online

You can also get linoleum desk pads

Blick Art Materials will sell you anything from a bag of 2x3 inch pieces to a 90 foot x 36 inch roll but the choice of colors is limited.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
nowayeout

??

Linoleum is alive and well, available from various manufacturers. It is made from linseed oil and any of various fillers such as wood flour, cork dust, calcium carbonate, etc. Some makers may have included some asbestos for its fibrous nature but it wasn't a necessity,

dadiOH

Reply to
bnwelch