Like cutting Dove Tails by hand?

You are going to love this one.

Leon

Pretty neat. Good idea for the fanned (curved) look on a corner. Gives me an option for a pending project, that I would have never thought to consider. Thanks for posting.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I'm not trying to be critical, just trying to learn. (Not that I'd ever attempt anything like that)

Some of the "seams" seemed a little ragged, maybe with some gaps. What does one do when that happens, even with a "standard" dovetail?

Can it be fixed/hidden or is the piece basically ruined/used as is?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I may one day, when I just want something to do. I can't justify hand cutting DT's for any work that I sell unless I triple my pricing.

The black contrast helps to hide the problem areas, I would think.

Reply to
Leon

Leave the minor imperfections - to show that they're hand-made ! :-) or call them "distressed" dovetails ...? I like 'em but would never attempt them either . John T.

Reply to
hubops

Practice makes perfect, or mo betta. I made a bed frame using hand cut do vetails, for the square corners. They looked ragged.... my first attempt at hand cut dovetails, long ago. I've improved, since then, not just with measuring, but with better tools.

I've done some other locking joint types, where there are small gaps. I us ed thin slivers to fill the gaps. Another similar example, for round Wind sor type chair legs or backrest supports, a kerf is cut into the end of the leg/support (insert) and a wedge is installed, to snug up the fit.

Good sharp tools help a lot, when doing fine cuts.

As John T points out, hand cut jointery has its place in the scheme and loo k of some hand worked pieces. You or the cuts don't have to be perfect, as long as the joints function as need be.

In the fan dovetail example, the nice curve effect of the tails "around" t he corner takes your eye away from any imperfections. His work is done on what looks like it might be small scrap boards, i.e., practice?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

There might be an interesting effect to round over a normal DT joint.

Reply to
Leon