Like Craftsman

Check out these guys. Sort of an ode to Gustave. Really nice stuff.

SonomaProducts.com

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 16:07:42 -0800 (PST), the infamous "SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

he feels. (My nick is C'less, remember? ;)

That looks like it was styled after Ellis' work. NICE!

P.S: If you've ever sat in a perfect 90-degree chair, where the seat and back are perpendicular (Shaker, early Mission, etc.), you'll know that it's not at all comfy. Make sure the furniture you build has at least a few degrees of outward tilt 'twixt the two. 95-100 degrees is great.

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I don't know about anybody else, but I couldn't compete with their pricing unless a major investment in tooling was made.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The wood was finished nicely...

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Obviously sticklers for detail ... the inset drawer fronts are impeccably done.

Reply to
Swingman

that price, they must have some sort of production line going to get efficient output.

Nice designs

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Leon

Like most business models will point towards, volume. Making several of an item cuts way down on production labor costs. It takes little more time to immediately cut 20 pieces than one piece, then remeasure, set the saw up again, and cut another piece and so on.

Reply to
Leon

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 19:43:58 -0800 (PST), the infamous "SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

1904 is the earliest I could find online, and it says Copyright by Gustav Stickley.

Oh, wait a minute, I found it. You're right, that's what it says, but I'll bet it was a misprint and they shot the typographer for it.

I haven't found the E anywhere else I've ever seen. Have you?

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 22:20:06 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

Yeah, I didn't have any problem with their style or finish; it was beautiful stuff. I could just -feel- the straight backs from looking at them, though. They were too perfect a reproduction.

Swingy, have you ever sat in a repro Stickley rocker? They're beautiful but horribly stiff and straight. Very uncomfortable. My last client was a woodworker. I spent several days over there and always was placed in the Stickley when I sat to talk with him about the deck. He lost 3 fingers to a kickback so he had only his thumb and little finger on his right hand, but he did beautiful work. He didn't like the straight back, either. They're also short by current standards. I think the seat was only 14" or so from the ground.

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

bedroom and dining room sets, in Cherry. That puts it out of my league, for sure.

Reply to
keithw86

I went back and looked at the signature on the last page of the Vol 1 issue and if you look at the 'e' at the end of Stickley and look at the end of the Gustav-e signature it is clearly, nearly exactly, the same. So in 1901 he was signing it with an e.

I suppose he could have dr> On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 19:43:58 -0800 (PST), the infamous

d4.me/AWW=A0I haven't found the E anywhere else I've ever

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
Leon

What I like is the DT joint that attaches the mirror to the dresser as seen from the back. Agreed, it is all about the execution.

Reply to
Leon