Lexan polycarbonate Source...

Looking for a source for a Lexan strip. I'd like to get a strip 1/4" X

1/4" X 8' (Shorter down to 4' would probably work too)

More supplies for my little slot car project.

I know I can get squares and such at the BORG's but wasn't sure if anyone knew of a place that makes this kind of item and what the cost would be.

I'm open to suggestions for alternatives. It's going to be used as a guide for routing curves on MDF board. It will be drilled every 1.5" for nail holes to pin it down.

I'm pulling a blank on what else I could use. It needs to be stiff enough to be able to guide the router, but flexible enough to do a decent radius curve.

As always....Thanks for your help.

Reply to
bremen68

| Looking for a source for a Lexan strip. I'd like to get a strip | 1/4" X 1/4" X 8' (Shorter down to 4' would probably work too)

Check your Yellow Pages under "Plastic". Most urban areas have one (or more) distributors who should be able to provide the stuff. If you treat 'em right, the distributors here in Des Moines will sometimes make just a token charge (or none) for anything they regard as "scrap", which is what you're looking for.

Morris Dovey

The bremen68 entity posted thusly:

Try any place that does glass (windows, etc.) work. They usually have lots of Lexan, though I don't know how the availability of that size.

I'd use something thinner, and lay out the lines with a pencil, onto

1/4" hardboard, then cut/sand the hardboard, making a template. Then use a guide bushing and a straight bit in your router to cut the slot (assuming it's a slot you want to cut). Don't forget to allow for the offset from the bushing to the bit.
Reply to
Oleg Lego

"bremen68" wrote

I call that scrap that I have to discard! You have several choices here ...

  1. Find your local industrial plastics distributor(s) in your local area, and ask them if they might let you pick through their scrap bin for what you need. Also check with your local glass distributors ... they use polycarbonate sometimes (they mostly use Plexiglass - Methyl Acrylic, which resists scratching, but doesn't bend like polycarbonate) ... can't hurt to ask, but be sure to ask whether it's plexiglas or Lexan.
  2. McMaster Carr has polycarbonate rod 1/4" diameter available as part number 8571K12, 1. Find your local industrial plastics distributor(s) in your local area, and ask them if they might let you pick through their scrap bin for what you need. Also check with your local glass distributors ... they use polycarbonate sometimes (they mostly use Plexiglass - Methyl Acrylic, which resists scratching, but doesn't bend like polycarbonate) ... can't hurt to ask, but be sure to ask whether it's plexiglas or Lexan. 2. McMaster Carr has polycarbonate rod 1/4" diameter available as part number 8571K12, $0.85/foot, sold in 8' pieces. This isn't square cross section, so you may want to look at their other offerings. Here's a 0.22" x.85/foot, sold in 8' pieces. This isn't square cross section, so you may want to look at their other offerings. Here's a 0.22" x
1" x 48" piece (use it on edge?), P/N 1749K12 for $3.48 each.
  1. Consider using 3/8" copper tubing. It bends easily and will hold its shape fairly well. Available at home centers and hardware stores everywhere.

I'd offer you stuff from my scrap pile but unless you're close to NC you're better off buying what you need.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Reply to
Rick M

TAP Plastics (it's a chain of stores)

Reply to
george

DAGS for scrollsawing wood and lexan. It might be mikes thin woods, but one of them had 24"x24" x whatever pieces of lexan quite resonable..

Alan

Reply to
arw01

I'd use hardboard to make the curve - just cut a 1" strip of 1/4" or

1/8" hardboard, 8' long or whatever you need. Then 3 finish nails - one at each end and one in the middle of the curve (or at the apex of each curve if you're doing multiple curves). Then use the strip of hardboard propped on its edge, bent around the nails. Does that make sense? I can email a picture if you really need it. If you're anywhere near central New York I actually have an extra 8' strip of hardboard... And I'm sure the borg has 4' squares of clear 1/8" acrylic or lexan or whatever the flexible stuff is, and it's easy to cut that stuff into strips also. I'd be careful drilling if you use the 1/4"x1/4" strip method - it seems like it would tend to break at the drill holes. Good luck, Andy
Reply to
Andy

Where in CNY Andy?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You might be interest to look at an Ebay site selling polycarbonate clear panel.

might wanna browse slowly at their surplus aluminum extrusion. If you choose carefully you might be able to find one or more to fabricate fences for your drill press, router and bandsaw. I bought various sizes and length of aluminum extrusions for the purpose. Seller willing to combine all my purchases and thus saving me S&H.

Disclaimer: I am not selling them just a customer.

Reply to
John No

Well I might have gotten lucky on this one....Dropped the Mrs off at the grocery store to pick up a few items and keeping with normal practice started circling the store to entertain the three wee ones. The middle one tends to get cranky if stuck in a parked car. (it's worth the price of the gas to circle....trust me on this)

Came around the back of the store and low and behold there's a big ol arched piece of plastic/lexan? leaning against a dumpster with a chunk out of the corner. Looks like somebody at the tanning bed shack on the end of the strip mall busted a cover to a tanning bed and there it be... Not being one to pass up such an opportunity I grabbed it.

Since I'm only looking for a section that a 1/4" the bow of the over all piece doesn't really matter.

Reply to
bremen68