Lettering Templates From Computer Fonts

I want to try making name plates using my scroll saw. Someone showed me some plastic templates they had that were a bit pricey even though they worked.. I am wondering if there aren't different computer fonts that can be used providing different size and letter types. I am thinking that I would like to make 'Mike' in letters 1" high and the name 4" long done in script. I could then print it to paper and then glue it to the wood to be cut. Any help will be appreciated.

Reply to
Mike Dalton

If you print the letters reversed on a laser printer, you can iron the letters on to the wood.

Reply to
Bob Bagwill

"Bob Bagwill" : : If you print the letters reversed on a laser printer, you can iron the : letters on to the wood.

Has anyone made this work to give a satisfactory print on wood?

Jeff G

-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk Website

Jeff Gorman

That is what I have done. Glue with spray on adhesive like "super 77". Cut with scrollsaw, then sand off the paper.

Reply to
Montyhp

I like Cooper Black.

Here is a link to a big JPG I made of the alphabet in Cooper Black. Feel free to use this if you like.

"You give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!" Maxwell Smart (Agent 86)

-----------------

Reply to
Dusty Workshop

Reply to
Dave W

look in a craft store they sell " tracing paper" comes in colors too.

Reply to
slowalker

Avery sells full-sheet sticker paper for inkjets. Print it off, cut them out. Test on a plain sheet for size first, though. Put a _slight_ dusting of sawdust on the back to reduce takiness, if needed.

Reply to
Jay

Reply to
Puff Griffis

Better still, is are the "tee shirt transfer" papers that can be printed on laser or ink jet. You transfer the image onto the tee shirt or wood with an iron.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Thu, Feb 19, 2004, 8:13pm snipped-for-privacy@AMyahoo.com (Mike=A0Dalton) claims: I want to try making name plates I could then print it to paper and then glue it to the wood to be cut. Any help will be appreciated.

No prob. Go to google, do a search. There's any number of sites out there with alphabets you can print out. Some of about every size, and/or style you want. A number of sites let you print out whatever you want, with different size, and style of type. One even lets you print it out backward - then you can copy it and iron the design on to the wood, rather than gluing. All you have to do is spend a few minutes looking. Try using "alphabet" as a starting point.

JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like.

J T

I just print out whatever writing I want using plain paper. Then I tape it to the wood over some good old fashioned carbon paper. Trace the outlines and remove. All traces of the carbon paper come off with sanding. Works for me.

Reply to
Howard Ruttan

"Eric Tonks"

: Better still, is are the "tee shirt transfer" papers that can be printed on : laser or ink jet. You transfer the image onto the tee shirt or wood with an : iron.

How has this been made to work? Other reports indicate that inks suitable for fabrics are not suitable for this purpose.

-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk Website

:

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

"Jeff Gorman" wrote in news:1077347716.15490.0@nnrp- t71-03.news.uk.clara.net:

It probably depends on the toner used, how thickly the printer pours it on, and the wood used. Using my Brother 5040, it didn't work to my satisfaction (little toner was applied to the wood, and it was blotchy).

Reply to
Han

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 8:40:07 -0600, Dave W wrote (in message ):

It's not too hard, the last time I was in OfficeMax they had a box of 100 for $20.00 or something like that. Also most arts supply stores will carry it (forget what they call it though).

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Brissette

If you use MS Word you can enlarge fonts to 72 points (1")- Just print it out on plain paper & use either spray adhesive ( kinda pricy for me) or use the old standby-- rubber cememt. Around $1.50 a bottle at wal-mart or office supply stores. Coat both the paper & the wood- let it dry & stick down. It only covers the surface & doesnt hamper finishes if you snad/rub it off before finishing. I use the same method on some of my jig-saw marquetry to stick the wood pieces together before sawing.

Reply to
Phil

any scroll saw plan site will have transfer or tracing paper in large sheets

BRuce

Dave W wrote:

Reply to
BRuce

I just came across this thread so I haven't read it all and not sure if this has been discussed before and I apologise if it has.

I've had good success by printing "mirror image" to a laser printer. Then I use an old household iron on the back to heat transfer it to the wood. Since laser printer ink is actually a high temperature wax, any residue that is left, when I'm finished cutting or carving, washes off the wood easily with solvent. A Xerox type photo copier uses this same ink (toner), so for those of you who don't have a laser printer, you can make photo copies of your inkjet prints and then do the same thing with them.

-- Charley

Reply to
Charley

Yes.

Lightly sand the wood, use the pr>

Reply to
Sprog

Fri, Feb 20, 2004, 11:59am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@seethesig.com (Jeff=A0Gorman) asks: Has anyone made this work to give a satisfactory print on wood?

Yes.

However. You know there is almost always a however. It would depend on what "satisfactory" is to you.

In my case, I got satisfactory results, the few times I did it. However, it was on light colored wood. On darker wood, it wouldn't have shown up near as well, or possibly not at all. It didn't show up dark, but was usable, for what I wanted. Damn, now I can't remember just what it was for, it's been a long time, several years. Scrollsaw pattern, I'm pretty sure, to be painted later. It's pretty quick, and accurately transfers the pattern. So, it's good that way; but, does tend to come out lighter than I really like. I then tried rubber cement to hold a pattern down. The cleanup on that was a real PITA, to me. Then carbon paper, which gave a dark line, but could be time consuming, and I didn't really care for it. Then I went to gluing my patterns down, with thinned Titebond II (I've just gotta buy stock in that company). The paper stays in place, and is painted on. Works great, for me and what I'm doing. If I didn't paint the patterns later, this probably wouldn't work, but I do, and it does.