King Seely

I went to the auction today and there was an ancient 8" Craftsman table saw with an extension table and a 4" jointer, all driven by the same motor. I walked away from it, but it was a thin crowd and when I came back it hadn't sold and $35 was too much of a temptation.

So, a 103.22160 King Seely saw, 103.23340 jointer with some small nicks in the knives. It's all heavy as hell.

Do I leave this on the curb or drag it into the shop? What upgrades or maintenance?

I have a sparse woodshop with a RAS and hand tools, I usually cut plywood with a fence and a small circular as the RAS has a limited rip.

Reply to
pentapus

Drag it in and set it up. It has to be better than a stick in the eye!

Drag it in and set it up. It has to be better than a stick in the eye!

Reply to
Morgans

Unless you build a good-size outfeed table, you'll still be cutting (full-sheet) ply w/ the handsaw, but they're a decent little saw...and the price was right, for sure. :)

I had the jointer's 6" big brother as my first jointer some 45 yr ago...other than being a little short on the tables and the outfeed table being somewhat of a pain to adjust as it's mounted on four studs instead of ways, it's a very solid little jointer. Certainly up to most anything of the current import generation as to what it can do for the size.

Reply to
dpb

pentapus wrote in news:lnvibg$dnf$1 @news.albasani.net:

Sounds like you bought yourself a project. I usually enjoy projects like this, it's fun getting a tool going again especially when there's nothing to lose.

Many of these projects start out with giving the tool an indepth cleaning. A nylon brush and old toothbrush will come in handy, and some sandpaper may be necessary. Metal bristle brushes are useful, but can scratch surfaces.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Reply to
mungedaddress

Back in the day - these were the go to tool for any trim carpenter. The tools still do the same job.

Reply to
DanG