Keyless chucks

that's a poorly designed chuck. but my metabo drill was only 169.00 and is as tuff as nails. and a great chuck.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Good point, Mike. So have I.

To the OP...

Clean up the inside real good every now and then. I use alcohol to get all the grime off...then hit it with a medium-tooth file to rough it up a bit. I seem to get about 3 months or so out of 'em this way...then need to clean again.

And the same should be done to the bits, too.

But that doesn't solve the problem entirely. You just can't get the same torque by hand that you can with a tool.

Good luck.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Trent©

I have a couple keyless chucks that work fine. One is on a Dewalt corded drill and the other on a Ryobi cordless. I have a Makita keyed chuck that is worthless.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

A good chek for a quality chuck is its ability to hold a 1/16" drill bit securely .......mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

the nicest chuck I own is an albrecht keyless. it's on a taper to fit the tailstock of my lathe. I wish I could afford to have those for all of my chucks....

Reply to
bridger

John Hewitt ... Malaga ... Spain

Reply to
richardhewitt

On Thu, 27 May 2004 11:59:57 -0500, Tim Douglass wrote (in article ):

Well, you said the magic word in my opinion. Milwaukee. I own two cordless, chuckless drills, one a Porter Cable and one a Milwaukee. The PC is worthless. The chuck doesn't slip, but after daily abuse for 6 months, it developed a wobble in the chuck that will require the chuck to be replaced to fix. The Milwaukee on the other hand has a full metal chuck (unlike the metal and plastic version on the PC drill) and has taken every type of abuse I can throw at it. There is a reason in test after test by magazines and construction trade rags that Milwaukee's gear is always at the top, it's designed to last. Every time I go into the BORG and see boxes of Ryobi tools walking out the door I keep wondering how long it will be before that person is replacing it. I personally don't want disposable tools any more. I want tools that I can pass along to daughter who loves to help me build things.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Brissette

Do the Albrecht chicks work on most of your standard issue cordless drills? Or are they more for stationary drill press stuff?

Reply to
MN Guy

No problem with those chicks on my chuck

Reply to
Phil Hansen