Jointer purchase decision

Reply to
stryped

On the infeed side, if the fence totally blocked the cutter, it wouldn't cut anything, so you have to make the the cutter protrude from the plane of the infeed fence by about 1/32". On the outfeed side, if the fence was higher than the cutter, the work piece would hang up on the fence. If the fence were lower than the cutter, the cutter would take off too much and you wouldn't get a flat cut.

In other words, if you put a straight edge against the fence when it is properly set up, the straight edge will touch the outfeed table and also the farthest reach of the cutter. But there will be a 1/32" gap between the straight edge and the infeed side of the fence.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Here's what you do... mount a 1/2" or greater straight bit (if you have one) into your router (if you have one) mount that router into a router table (if you have one)... put on a pair of safety glasses and maybe a face mask and some shin guards... grab a pine board, recite the Lord's Prayer once or twice and just dive in with both feet. You'll figure it out. Be very aware of where your fingers are at all times and let me know how you make out with it.

Best of luck,

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

I might have gotten that one wrong... I was thinking of Psalm 23... "as I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..." Oh well, another punch line mangled.

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

A table top jointer has very little use. Why don't you just buy a good quality hand plane? Veritas from Lee Valley is a wise choice. It will last forever and you will learn its true value.

Dave An old solid oak tree is just a nut that refused to give up.

Teamcasa

Reply to
stryped

Lay your dick on the table ;-)

Reply to
Joe Barta

Dude, this is really starting to sound like a troll. The answer is it doesn't really matter. Just make it a little bit.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

It's "half a sixteenth".

Really!

Reply to
Ba r r y

In addition to the very good advice you've already received, let me add this: consider buying used equipment. Check the ads in your local newspaper, and attend auctions. You can probably get a decent, used 6" jointer on a floor stand for not much more than you'd pay for a new table-top jointer... and you'll be *much* happier with it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Which half?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

ROFLMAO.

Sorry but that cought me off guard. To say that in the middle of what looked like a normal intelligent conversation. lol.

Reply to
dnoyeB

| "Ba r r y" wrote in | message || It's "half a sixteenth". || || Really! | | Which half?

The small half.

Morris Dovey

The better one!

Reply to
B a r r y

x-no-archive:yes

I promise I am not a troll. I fooled with the router table yesterday try> >That makes sense now. What is the best way to measure 1/32?? I start

Reply to
stryped

Router fences are often designed to be even because that's what you almost always want, and it makes for a simpler/cheaper design. The only thing I can suggest is either replace the fence or and/remove material from one of the sides.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Or add a sub-fence to both sides and make the outfeed sub-fence slightly thicker.

Reply to
Mcfly

Stick a piece of Formica to the outfeed side.

It is harder to set up a fence that way as you have to precisely adjust the amount of cut of the bit but it is about all you can do. With a split fence, you can set up the infeed fence and bit, cut a few inches and move the outfeed fence out to the cut edge...much easier.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

x-no-archive:yes

Are there surces on the internet for used equipment at a cheap price?

Reply to
stryped

You're not really a self-starter, are you?

Reply to
dadiOH