Jointer knife setting question

Recently, I recently reset my jointer knives using my brand-spanky new oneway multi-gague (drive-by neener). As a general rule, should knives be set _slightly_ above the outfeed table? The ends of the knives are between

1 and 2 thousandths above, the center of the knives are a little lower. Of course, I can't control that since the leveling screws are under the ends of the knives.

Or am I just splitting hairs?

Joe

Reply to
Cafferata Family

Depends. When you say that the centers of the knives "are a little lower", do you mean lower than the ends of the knives, or lower than the outfeed table?

If you mean that the centers are a little lower than the table, you have a problem that needs to be corrected. Lower the outfeed table, or raise the knives, until the centers of the knives are dead even with the outfeed table. Then hone the knives until the ends are dead even also. Finally, lower the outfeed table, or raise the knives, until the knives are 0.001" above the table.

OTOH, if you mean that the centers are lower than the ends, but still higher than the outfeed table, and if the ends are only 0.001 to 0.002" above the table, then I think you shouldn't worry about it -- you can't possibly have a significant variation in height along the length of the knife.

Of course, if you're still worried about it, you can proceed as above anyway.

Doug Miller

Traditional answer is to have the outfeed table microscopically below versus tangent to the arc of the knives. Not sure exactly why, though it may have to do with springback on the wood after impact.

I use the "carry 1/16" method on mine. But the real answer is to set the table to get the straightest cut!

Reply to
George

the knives may be flexing when you clamp down on them. a shim of one piece of typing paper behind the blade at the center may fix it.

Reply to
bridger