jointer infee/outfeed table question

I just posted a picture on abpw of the infeed/outfeed tables on a Jet model JJ-6CSX jointer that I bought used. Please take a look and tell me if this is the correct configuration of the tables or should they be parallel to each other. Thanks, Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

I can't see abpw from work, but if you set the depth to 0, the tables should be completely parallel and coplanar. That is, there should be no peak or valley at the cutterhead. If you lower the infeed table for a cut, the planes of the infeed and outfeed tables, should be exactly parallel.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Doesn't look right to me. Raise them both all the way up. Lower the outfeed 'tiI your straightedge touches all of the infeed, and the leading edge of the outfeed. Then measure how much the tail of the outfeed needs shimming up. I think your best bet would be to shim the ways of the outfeed table(as it's moved much less than the infeed), to where it's co-planar with the infeed. Tom

Reply to
tom

push down on your straightedge so it sits flat on the outfeed table. the distance it hovers above the infeed table is the depth of cut. this is adjustable with those handwheels...

hey, anybody have the link to that excellent jointer setup post from a few years back?

Reply to
bridger

See the drawing I made for you in ABPW. I think it summarizes everything that a lot of people have been trying to describe in words.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Reply to
Mike Berger

I believe it used to be on "WoodMagizine.com"

(

)

but they've take the article off their web.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Hey, don't go rational on us and give out good advise. We have to justify our fees as independent advisors of the wreck.

Ah, the joys of a decent manual. I've read a few myself.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

fine woodworking did an article in may/june 2000 that includes making an alignment jig from MDF and some sheetrock screws. Its a really nice 6 page article with good pictures. Its available as a reprint (or PDF) on their website, but you have to buy it.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob