Jointer Bed & Table Flatness

Please recall last weekend I posted asking input on what would be reasonable flatness values for the table and fence on a 6" jointer. I am buying a Yorkcraft and the company offered to supply the values of my unit prior to purchase.

Here is part of the message I received from them today:

We have

pulled one into our shop and checked it all out for you! The serial >number is T60251 on your machine. The fence measures within .002" >flatness from end to end and the tables as well measure within .002" >flatness from end to end. In checking from corner to corner(diagonal) the >tables were both perfectly flat with no measurable variance in >flatness. I'm sure you will agree that these are very good results >indeed. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any other questions or >to place your order.

I phone them and ordered this machine. The numbers sound really good to me, of course I will remeasure it when it arrives. I'll report back for those who might be interested.

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

One of the most important things in a jointer is the closeness of one table being parallel to the other. If that isn't dead on, you will never be able to joint a board and have it come out straight. Never.

Reply to
Morgans

You worry too much. On ancient 24" jointers used by a crew of 120 men continuously for 2 ten-hour shifts a day, we are able to produce model and pattern bases that suck down strongly upon a steel or granite plate, and edgewise are square to a 4 foot master square.

Reply to
RM MS