Is this setup safe for circ saw rip?

Greetings, I'm making a bow saw. I am starting with a billet of oak, 1.5" x

3.5" by 29.5". I'm going to rip out 7/8" slats (to plane down to 3/4"). The thought of ryoba-ing for ten feet gives my the willies. I have no TS.

My plan: clamp securely in the workmate, set CS depth of cut shy 1/4 in or so and then rip the thin remainder with the ryoba. (The rip fence will work for a couple of the cuts.) I believe this will be safe. But, hey, why not ask first and do something else while awaiting answers?

(Safety first, last, and always.)

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

I'd arrange for some support for the saw shoe- another piece of wood level with the top of your billet. Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

Thanks guys!

The partial cut didn't work. Set off the smoke detector. Stalled the blade. Then...

Clamped the far end, sawed with wedges behind, moved clamps, finished. Man, that oak is tough. I am _so_ glad not to have done that rip with a sharksaw.

I want a new CS blade now.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis