Is Plain/Flat Sawn Plywood Veneer Worth It?

Why didn't you just say that in the first place? That's obviously what you meant by your first post, but you didn't have the stones to just say it.

Next time, either keep your convoluted insults to yourself, or grow a pair and say what you really think. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I've always been able to find QSWO plywood with nice figure here on the Gulf Coast:

The bottom doors in this corner cabinet I build a few years back are frame and panel doors with 1/4" QSWO plywood panels.

Here they are with just one coat of stain:

here are the doors after spraying with amber shellac and the piece was put into service:

thought the QSWO ply ended up matching quite nicely with the QSWO stock used for the rest of the piece after all was said and done.

The two back panels of the case are 3/4" QSWO ply, and they have a nice figure also, although you can't tell by the archaic digital photo.

Reply to
Swingman

I am just about to start a new job and will be ordering 3/4 quarter sawn maple for the drawer fronts and doors. I am looking for the relatively straight grain that qtr gives you vs the cathedral grain of flat sawn. It just has to do with what look you are after and your budget. I guess I am paying about $50 more per sheet to get the qtr and I am having to have it made up special. Plain sawn is stocked.

Neither is better than the other. Which do you want to use is the question.

JMHO Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

Quarter sawn. You can see the that a little more eaisly on the pics where the bookmatches are not so obvious.

Thank you.

Reply to
Leon

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 14:35:54 -0500, the infamous "dadiOH" scrawled the following:

Remind the little woman that she shouldn't store wet clothes in the cabinets. ;)

-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wrong _____________

  1. I cut a bunch of softwood lumber into uniform pieces - about 3/4" x 1
3/4" - for use as frames for various utility type doors I needed to make for both my shop and house. I still have a bunch in the shop, all flat as pancakes.
  1. For the shop doors I used hardboard as the panels. None warped. Humidity in the shop is high in the summer.
  2. I used 1/4" (nominal) birch ply for the doors in the house. Made eight doors. All were nice and flat. Four warped. The humidity in the laundry is no higher than anywhere else.
  3. I used the same 1/4" ply for some smallish (12" x 18" more or less) sliding doors for a utility cabinet also in the laundry. They just slide in grooves, grooves were made sloppy wide because I know from past experience that ply warps and if the grooves are a nice fit the doors will wind up binding so much they are hard to move. Initially, the butted edges of two doors were nicely lined up when closed. They no longer are.
  4. I just looked in my shop to see if I had any of the ply used for the warped doors. I found a piece about 12" x 12" (door panels are about 12" x
36"). With one corner and two adjacent sides flat, the opposite corner is warped by about 3/8". Extend that warp (wind, actually) to 36" and it would be better than an inch. Here's a photo...
The ply warped, not the frame.
Reply to
dadiOH

This problem mostly exists because of the way light reflects back off off and or out of the grain. Typically book matched pieces have the grain pointing in mirrored dirrections also. Actually you can often see regular hard woods change from light to dark and back again if you spin the wood

360 degrees and or walk around the piece. I have found that if you stain the pieces the light and dark is much less dramatic if noticeable at all. Clear unobstructive finishes that do not stain the wood tend to exagerate the light and dark patterns.
Reply to
Leon

Very.

That depends. Quarter-sawn maple (sugar maple, in my experience) can have some _very_ nice looking ray fleck, and in my opinion it's worth the effort to seek it out if you have the lumber at your disposal.

Reply to
Steve Turner

That can be true, however if you have the time and patients to look through a quantity of quarter sawn plywood you will in deed find those pieces that have pretty impressive patterns. If you look at the foot board on the link below you will see the more exagerated quarter sawn pattern in the 1/2" plywood panels. The towers are also made with quarter sawn plywood but more closely resemble what you have come to expect, a rift sawn look.

Leon

Oops, make that 1/4" QS plywood panels.

Reply to
Leon

The ply warping by itself is irrelevant.

You said the ply warping, is what pushed the rails and stiles out 2 inches. I just don't think that is physically possible.

Of course, I assumed you were talking hardwood, but I still don't buy it with softwood.

But hey, it's not worth arguing about.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Well, I can't see any figure on the forst pic, I guess maybe my monitor is not so great and the second pic kind of makes my point. It has a few nice flakes on the right panel but nothing I can see on the right and compared to the fantastic rays on the rails\stiles the ply look boring.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Yes those few lower panels have some nice figure. Not too common in my experience. For me, I usually order ply delivered and don't get to pick through the sheets and even though I can return stuff it isn't really fair to like order 10 sheets so I can find the one or two with good figure and return the others when the real expectation is that QS ply is going to be hit and miss in terms of figure.

Figure can be a very elusive thing. I have selected some great pieces of solid stock for projects only to plane away the great figure with the removal of just 1/32" off the surface. So I can image why it is difficult to get good slices for veenering ply.

One of my big hopes is to get my kit business up and running and start buying custom milled QS WO by the truck load. That is my nirvana!

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

"Boring"? Dayum, Bubba ... you sound like that guy in the recording studio that wants everything louder than everything else. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Yes those few lower panels have some nice figure. Not too common in my experience. For me, I usually order ply delivered and don't get to pick through the sheets and even though I can return stuff it isn't really fair to like order 10 sheets so I can find the one or two with good figure and return the others when the real expectation is that QS ply is going to be hit and miss in terms of figure.

As one of the owners of a supplier I use put it, if I pull the order they get what every one else picks through. We don't just throw the that stuff away, if they don't care enough to pick it out themselves they must not care what it looks like.

Reply to
Leon

Well for me, the bigger suppliers don't allow anyone in their warehouse. I do have a place I can go and look at anything I want but not as convenient and not so easy to look through stacks of ply that have to be pulled down from racks, etc.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Hey, I guess you have heard my mixes. ;^)

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Well for me, the bigger suppliers don't allow anyone in their warehouse. I do have a place I can go and look at anything I want but not as convenient and not so easy to look through stacks of ply that have to be pulled down from racks, etc.

I hear you, fortunately I only had to look through 1/4" stacks. ;~)

Reply to
Leon