Inside curve sanding - what do you use?

Anyone use an oscillating spindle sander or is it a big paperweight?

Do you use sanding drums on your DP instead of the OSS?

Are the inflated drums cool or hype?

Or do you just, ugh, sand by HAND?

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I use an OSS. I have the Ridgid combo belt/spindle. Handy machine. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Depends upon the type of woodworking you do. I use a lot of curved aprons, stretchers and other parts in my projects, so a dedicated machine is handy, a time saver, and consequently my B.O.S.S is used at least weekly. Used a drill press before that ... the DP works, but as any tool that is not designed for the task at hand, it left a lot to be desired.

Reply to
Swingman

Hey Dave,

I did the drill press with the sanding drums for about a year. PITA and to be avoided if at all possible, IMO. I'm sure you can do better than what I did, but it really needs a reasonably sized drill press table and a lot of patience. I found it easy to end up with little hollows by applying a bit too much pressure.

Now I'm using a OSS, but surprise surprise it's a Ryobi. It's the OSS500. It looks a little like a toy, honestly, but it performs VERY nicely. And it was only $89 at the orange Borg. $89! I've used it on about 6 projects now, probably 50 curved pieces and it hasn't missed a beat. Comes with a good assortment of drums, and the dust collection actually works very well. The table isn't as big as could be, but for $89 it is a very good value. I know, it's a Ryobi, but this particular tool has received kudos in a few woodworking magazines, and my experience has proven their advice well justified.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Dave, To me, it was no big deal until I made some Duncan Phyfe style chairs. I decided on the Jet, all steel and cast iron - no plastic. I now use it frequently. If forced to give it up and go back to the DP would make me very grumpy!!

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Mike,

no need to be apologetic about it being a Ryobi. I've got one Ryobi which is a POS. I've got another, the sander that looks almost like a Bosch and it works great. I bought it over 12 years ago, and it's still on the market for about $100. I got a Delta disk/belt sander and it's just a hair above a "POS". For less money I could have gotten what APPEARS to be a well built Ryobi unit, also available at the big orange.

Can the OSS use pnuematic drums as well? Do you have to buy special paper for the OSS drums or do you just cut regular sheets down to wrap around? I've never looked at these units, as you can tell from the newbie nature of the questions.

ddave

Mike > Hey Dave,

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Answer: it depends.

When possible, I like to flush trim curved pieces with a premade template and router. Then, I don't use the OSS on the finished piece. I sand by hand. Of course I often do use the OSS in the process of making the templates themselves, but even then hand sanding is almost always involved in getting shapes just right.

When not possible (usually due to thickness) to flush trim to shape, then yes I do use the OSS on the finished piece itself.

Inflated drums: never used 'em.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Mike, looks like brocpuffs is giving you some smack about the Ryobi in a new thread, "Grizzly GO538 OSS! :)

dave

Mike > Hey Dave,

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

If space is a premium, like it is more most of us, consider the PC 121 Handheld OSS. Then mount it in your router table.

Very nice, useful.

Myx

Reply to
Myxylplyk

Hey, Myx, thanks, I'll do a little investigating on that one. I usually like PC tools; I have at least 6 or so of them...

dave

Myxylplyk wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

hehe, I see that now.

Honestly, the shape of the table hasn't been that big an issue. I think it was actually thought out pretty well to minimize space requirements and still allow accurate sanding of reasonably sized pieces.

I used the sander to sand a 3 foot wide arch with about 3.5" between the apex and the ends and it worked just fine.

The Grizzly is probably fine, but then you have to pay shipping (most of us, anyway). That puts the price at about $133. Looking at the item on Grizzly's website, I dont' see how it is THAT much better than the Ryobi. For the money, which is what I said before, the Ryobi kicks the Grizzly's butt, IMO.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I'm not sure about the pneumatic drum question, but I don't think so. The sand paper is specific to OSS's and is similar to sleeve sandpaper used on belt sanders.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

aha, the gauntlet is thrown down!

dave

Mike > hehe, I see that now.

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Dave,

Although it sounds like you've been sold on the OSS, if you need any other reasons the DP isn't the best way to go I'd say add the fact that when you're done on it due to the non-oscillating nature of the DP you end up with nice little grooves in the side of your curves from the abrasives. I.e. you still have to sand it by hand when you're done.

I'm waiting for the spring thaw when garage sales and classifieds pick up again and then I'll go a looking. Although after Mike's review of the Ryobi, I might not even bother!

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

SWMBO got my Delta at a garage sale for my B'day last for "under $100" ... she didn't say how far under, but knowing her it was closer to $50. IIRC, it may have been part of a gloat at the time ... on SWMBO, not the tool. I've had one 20 years, and the other about 1, and wouldn't willingly trade either.

Reply to
Swingman

That's a nice solution, but it runs about $250 in addition to the cost of the plate you'll need for the router table. The plates are in the $50 neighborhood from Rockler.

I know you're picky about tools, but do consider the Ryobi OSS. It does the job very effectively.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

I turned my own drums on my Vertilathe Used 4"dia, 3 1/2" and 3". I use these drums to sharpen my chisels also. Each wheel or wooden disc is 1 " thick and is made up of (1) 1/4 x20x2" hanger bolt, (1) 3/16 x 9/16 flat washer,(1) 1" strip of foam padding psa 9" long,1 strip of Klingspor psa emery paper (80 grit) 9" long and (1) chuck adapter (stand off) to fit on hangerbolt. Easy directions (Ha)

George

George Devine

Wasn't finished. The wheel of drum starts out with a 4" square block and turned down to a 3 1/2 dia. With band saw cut in cerf 1/2 deep and 1/8" wide to hold ends of sand paper. You out there, give it a try.

George

George Devine

Ryobi $99 OSS. Only Ryobi tool I own and so far (8 months later) a great investment. Sees frequent use. Have also used it for outside curves - pop on the 3" drum and proceed slowly.

Reply to
mttt

Doubtful and so far, not necessary for me. The Ryobi takes the same size spindles as quite a few other OSS's out there. For $99 I got a wide assortment of spindles (half a dozen'ish) and 3 grits for each size.

You can find replacement sandpaper everywhere from Ace, to HD to Woodcraft. So far I don't see a huge cost advantage to making my own sleeves.

Reply to
mttt