Ideas on how to do this - Puzzle Joint

puzzlejointtwo.jpg Curious if anyone knows how can a joint like this be done?

Reply to
Dave in Indy

Saw at 45degrees to surface of wood.

Or equivalently, get stock 1.414 times as wide as you want, cut regular dovetails in it, then bevel rip.

Hard to describe in words. Imagine the top piece missing. The dovetails in the bottom piece will run from the front surface to one of the side surfaces, and from the back surface to the other side surface.

Reply to
alexy

What's the full URL? I see an advertising site, but no puzzle joint.

Reply to
Guess who

he had a space in the url. it's:

bridger

alexy wrote in news:1bifv0dae0einfor9unlrnb4qiqrif74l2@

4ax.com:

AH! Okay, now I think I get it. That's really two sliding dovetails there, not four "regular" ones. The light colored wood has two slots and three pins, and the middle pin goes from corner to corner. And the two pieces slide together, starting at one corner.

Hunh. Cute.

Reply to
Dan

try removing the blank between the "/" and the "p" in puzzle.

Reply to
charlie b

Roy Underhill's PBS TV program Wood Wright's Shop has done that puzzle. I must have seen the re-runs 15 to 20 times

tails inside are connected at 45 degrees. Slides out over corner. The reason it is a puzzle for adults is the expectation that dove tails come apart from the face of the wood. Children, without the life experience and expectation will try to take the puzzle apart by applying force in many directions, including from one corner across to the opposite corner which will succeed.

I know this is not clear, but you have to seen the TV show, and you will understand.

Phil.

Reply to
GrayBeardPhil

Here's a good site showing the details (even if you don't speak German).

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Jordan