I made a bowl!

Or is it a tray. Anyway it was fun.

brian

Nice! I used to do some amateur wood working but nothing like that. After the table saw "oops, brain fart" I kinda lost interest (and a finger). I do appreciate nice work though!

Reply to
albosch

It was a nice interesting video! I liked its quick pace.

Reply to
Bill

Very nice, Brian. Now you need to get a lathe and really turn out some bowls.

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Yes! I agree 100%. That'll be my next big purchase. I keep drooling over the Powermatic 3520B. I need to convince my wife that I "need" that much lathe. :)

Reply to
brian

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------- Some more router crafted bowls.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thanks for that Lew! Saved.

I wonder if the router collet extension can stress the router bearings from the added leverage?

Reply to
brian

Lew Hodgett wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Thanks for that Lew! Saved.

I wonder if the router collet extension can stress the router bearings from the added leverage?

-------------------------------------------- With out question there is added load on the collet end bearing; however, you are not going to add enough load to cause problems if you only take 1/16-1/8 cuts and let the cutter do it's job.

IOW, don't get in a hurry and try to force the cut.

Take only enough material fast enough to prevent burning.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Just sold mine for double what I paid for it. Craigslist rocks. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

"IF" you are not turning now and think you would like to get into turning,

Turning is a whole different aspect to woodworking and a fortune can be spent on equipment and tools before you even know whether you will like it or not.

I would strongly advise to buy close to entry level, but a decent brand, lathe and start off with carbide tipped tools, something equivalent to "Easywood Tools"". You really only need 2-3 of their tools to turn almost anything and they do not require any sharpening equipment.

I have owned 2 different lathes for 30 plus years and never really got into turning until the last 5-6 years.

It takes years of practice to become as proficient with a lathe as you are with a table saw. You may not like it or have the patience.

Reply to
Leon

Just remind your wife that bigger is better because size does matter.

Jim

Reply to
athiker