I'm dumber than you

I was finishing up my router cabinet last night and needed to install a few blocks on the inside of the front panel that will lift off. I pulled the router plate out so I could run the gun through there to get to the inside of the panel. I was holding back on the panel and testing the positioning of the gun...

BANG!

Wow! that really hurts. Luckily it was a BN and not a FN. Went into my index finger near the side about 1/2" deep. Good thing my tetanus shot is up to date (that story is for another forum).

At least I can still count to ten. Probably going to get a script for an antibiotic today just in case...

Be careful out there.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Tetanus comes from fecal matter with a certain bacteria on an object that breaks the skin (mostly). Poop on yer gun much?

;)

D'ohBoy

Reply to
D'ohBoy

The mice and voles do get into my shop and tools on occasion...

Be careful out there!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Introduce bacteria through puncture wound. Bacteria grow in anaerobic climate of puncture wound. Voila... tetanus infection.

pulled from the government of Canada web site:

Tetanus is an acute and often fatal disease caused by an extremely potent neurotoxin produced by Clostridium tetani. The organism is ubiquitous in soil but has also been detected in the intestines of animals and humans. Wounds that are contaminated with soil or animal/human feces and that are associated with tissue injury and necrosis are most frequently associated with tetanus. Cases related to injection drug use, animal bites and lacerations have been reported as well as rare cases occurring after bowel surgery or bronchoaspiration of soil and feces. In North America, approximately 27% of cases occur in people who do not report any antecedent injury.

Reply to
phorbin

Does this mean you can now count to 10 with a decimal as well? =20 Marc (who is glad you did not hurt yourself worse.)

Reply to
marc rosen

Probably a very good idea. I got a finger nicked on the tablesaw years ago. Pretty ugly abrasion but I too could still count to ten. The emergency room doc said the biggest threat was the blade just barely nicked the bone on the end of my finger. Apparently bone infections are a real bad deal. Can lead to blood poisoning or amputations.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I worked in a very rough style furniture factory back in the 70's. We made faux wooden cable reels to use as stools and tables as well as some more standard chairs and tables. It was all pine and it went out unfinished except for it was all flame burned. About once a week we would have a fire on some piece that had just been flame finished. Luckily the had the guy with the huge propane torch working in the center of the whole building a few feet from the massive dust collector with 4, 55 gal drums full of sawdust... real smart... but I digress.

One day a guy I was friendly with who worked over in the chair department walked over to my boss in the table top department. He was holding a cahir and didn't say a word, just stood there with a pale look. Then my boss notices the large nail extending out of the middle of his thumb. The nail shot with a gun had hit a knot, took a left and exited the chair rail through his thumb. My boss asks the guy if he wants him to pull his thumb off the nail. The guy shakes his head yes as we all start to gather around. My boss yanks his thumb off the nail, the blood starts to flow and the guy faints and just crumples to the floor.

He was back at work the next day.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Help! What was the name of the disease people can get when they step on rusty nails?

Mike in Ohio

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

That is still tetanus, but the nail can drag other stuff in there as well, depends if you are wearing shoes/socks etc., what was the nail in....

Reply to
FrozenNorth

When I was a kid of around 9-10 they were building an extension to our school and of course we were told not to go anywhere near. On this particular day it was raining on and off and the builders weren't around. Because it was raining I had been sent off to school wearing wellingtons (gum boots?) and you know what kids do when they are told not to do something?

Yup, I ran round the new building and stepped on this rusty old nail sticking up out of a plank lying on the floor. It nearly went all the way through the sole of my foot and I dare not tell a teacher because I shouldn't have been anywhere near. So I sat in class through the rest of the day with this thing throbbing away wondering if I was slowly bleeding to death.

Anyway, when I got home I took off my boots and my socks and really didn't like what I could see so I told my parents and they rushed me off to the local "cottage" hospital. They took a look, cleaned it up and gave me an injection of anti-tetanus serum.

I had to attend daily for the next six days to be given an injection of penicillin by a dragon of a sister who seemed to think it was fun sticking a needle into a small boy's backside and seemed to take great pleasure in inflicting as much pain as possible!

Reply to
Stuart

Nah, I'm definitely dumber than you.

I was a long time getting an electric plane and used ordinary hand planes for years. To be honest I still rarely use my electric plane.

Anyway, first time of use was to reduce the width of a piece of 2x1. Now, you know how when you are using a hand plane on a narrow piece of wood, you curl your fingers underneath the sole so that the tips form a guide rubbing along the side of the piece of wood? .

. . . . . . . . .

:-(

. . . . . . . .

It was quite a few weeks before I played guitar again.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

charlieb

charlieb

Lockjaw, I forget what the real name is.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Tetanus.

Reply to