I can't decide what tool to buy next

On Sat 23 Aug 2003 04:59:36p, "Jon Endres, PE" wrote in news:ctR1b.6677$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.news.adelphia.net:

Thanks Jon, that's good to know. I should have mentioned that speed wasn't a factor; I just want the capability and I'll be doing it infrequently so changing to a special blade isn't a problem. And if my tablesaw is any indicator, when I do get my first bandsaw the first few weeks it'll be about fifty-fifty fiddling with it and actually using it. Not sure if it's to be certain it's tuned right or I just like playing with my toys. :-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Phisherman

Tom Bergman spaketh...

I neander out of necessity. It's the creation that I enjoy, not the method.

Reply to
McQualude

You really have to be careful of a lathe. It is the most dangerous tool in the shop! Responsible for more missed commitments and blown budgets than Congress! OK, you have been warned!

Sounds like you are not particularly pressed for time so:

Planer - cuts hand planing in half and allows pretty much standard dimensioning of stock for any given project.

Band Saw - one of the most versatile tools in a shop.

Drill Press - bench model fine on a stand as long as you have a minimum of

16 inch swing.

Jointer - bigger is better depending on space available and budget.

It is a pretty hard call actually. I keep a shop fund. When I get to the point I can no longer stand being without a tool and there is money available, I start looking for the best price. Last Saturday I found a Delta

14 inch bandsaw with a Baldor 3/4 HP motor on a moveable stand for $150. Looks like a pair of new thrust bearings and some rust removal from the table will bring this saw up to speed. Mad money is nice to have when opportunity knocks. Good luck with your shop! ;)

Dan "Eccentric by Nature"

Reply to
Dan

Absolutely, stay away from a lathe! You cannot imagine what a mess a tool can make until you set out to remove everything that doesn't look like a bowl from a piece of fire wood. Also, walking into the house with a finished project after a few hours in the shop is not near as satisfying as spending weeks of evenings and weekends to finish a square project. And the distraction factor: you go out to the shop to work on a project, and find yourself saying "well, just a few minutes turning." So much for the original project (see missed committments above.) And speaking of budgets: there is not tool in the shop that has as many accessories available for it as a lathe.

Gene

Reply to
Gene