i am dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

I had a roof rack for bikes on for my car and drove to a trail for a bike ride. Then I came home with the bike on the roof rack. pulled into the garage...well into the bottom edge of the open garage door (tilting wooden door).

dave

Andy D> >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I'll assume this was meant in half-jest, but just in case, if he lives in a metropolitain area like I do, it might be the part where you take your bike to someplace a little more scenic/safer to ride.

todd

Reply to
todd

I might as well come clean, too. Our previous vehicle was a Chevy Blazer and the rear glass window hinged at the top. I had it open while in the garage. I ended up trying to back out with it up, which doesn't work so good when the window catches on the garage door. Didn't shatter the glass, but bent the brackets enough to have to take it to the body shop. I've solved this problem in the future by having my woodworking stuff all over the garage so that you can't pull any cars in if you wanted to.

todd

Reply to
todd

Not that I would do anything as dumb as that but a guy I used to work with drove one of our X-Ray darkrooms (basically a camper unit on a pickup truck) through the bottom panel of the shop roll up door. Of course he learned from that mistake as next week while he was backing the company Suburban in through the same shop door, he leaned out the door as he was backing in to make sure he had the clearance. Of course he folded the Suburban door backwards like you did. That was about 12 years ago so YES it does take a long time to die down.

Paul

Reply to
Paul in MN

Friend of mine went through a drive-through with his bike on the top of his Isuzu Trouper. Same damage to bike and car as BAD described.

I've only backed over a suitcase that my FIL (never met a clean surface he couldn't fill up with stuff) left in the nice big empty car-size space in my garage. Geez, what do you think goes in that nice big empty car-size space in the garage?

Damn, I'm all set to get a hitch rack becuase I KNOW I'd drive into my garage with the bikes on the roof and now you have to go and tell me that!? I assumed if you can see the bikes in the rear window you wouldn't back into things....

Michael

Reply to
Michael Press
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

It's him for sure.......he's even on topic...... Sorry but I could not resist, Dave...... No offense, I know you have to put up with a lot of crap & this sure does not help. In some newsgoups in the UK we used to have a lot of problems with people using our identities so we used to have a certain thing we added to our genuine posts so people (regulars at least) knew it was really us.

for instance after you sign dave you could drop down a few lines & leave a ~ like so:

dave

~
Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Oh that reminds me... my wife once backed out of the garage past my car, which was in the driveway. She took off my side-view mirror with hers.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Press

:) I too, haven't had another crunched bike since I took up woodworking!

dave

todd wrote:

I've

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

why wouldn't the troll just copy that little "trick"? I know he is DUMB, but I bet he can manage to copy anything I use EXCEPT for my superior witty comments!! :) He has expanded his list of victims lately. He lied to the group (today, I think) that I had changed my screen name. I haven't.

dave

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :)

P©W?T©©LMAN ²ºº4 wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

-snip-

Is that a trick question? Everyone knows that's where you put your table saw?

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

A good idea. Another option is to move the garbage can or the like in front of the garage, so you are forced to get out of the car.

Reply to
brian roth

Reply to
Mark

That helps me to remember that I've got to do something with the remote when I use the rack.

A teammate of mine hit his garage with his bike and ended up putting up a convex mirror over the garage door. The bike looks pretty freaky in the reflection, but you can't miss it. I'm sure his neighbors would rather not see a mirror up there though. I guess you could mount the mirror on the bottom of the door...

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

You park in your garage? Wow, what's that like?

I did something similar when I was about 17. Left the door open on the topper of a pickup truck and went to back out of the garage. That safety glass sure does go everywhere when it explodes.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

The part where you attach the car by its roof to the bike, and take it home that way. Saves gas to beat the band.

James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Reply to
brocpuffs

I once worked for a guy that chewed us out for running into stuff with the company trucks. My buddy, who was his son, had just run into some brand new transformers that were sitting on pallets in the yard. That evening, the boss drove his pickup into his garage with a 15' extension ladder on the headache rack. When the ladder caught the edge of his house, it stuffed it under the bottom edge of his closed tailgate & he couldn't get it out. The next morning, 3 feet of the ladder was sticking out the back of the truck, between the bottom of the tailgate and the rear bumper. Talk about getting some mileage out of something. It was hilarious watching those two go at it about each others driving abilities when Steve (the son) realized what his dad had done.

Reply to
Michael Burton
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Of course you would not advertise the fact of your identifying mark... other than to those people that you want to know (let them know one by one off group), combined with ignoring the troll (which of course you would have to work at) & not rising to take the bait (again this needs to be a group effort too), it takes a while but if the regulars all work together over a period of time the troll does not get the satisfaction he desires & moves on.

We had major troll problems like that at uk.local.southwest where several people were victimised, some newcomers wondered why nobody replied to the trolls in our own defence but after a while the trolls gave up faded away & crawled back under their slimey rocks.

He can target whoever he wants but if the group as a whole stick to their guns you can beat this guy (these guys).....there is enough in fighting & back biting among the regulars without providing fodder for the loonies as well.

Who cares? we don't right?

;~}

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

So would I, but our customers have different experiences.

Empty hitch racks also get stolen at malls quite often. Lazy people never take them off, and are too cheap to spend $15 for a locking hitch pin, so they lose a $200 rack! 8^(

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Mark Mark responds:

Of course. Practice is part of learning. Thus, the mistakes today are smarter, even if I'm not.

Charlie Self "Wars spring from unseen and generally insignificant causes, the first outbreak being often but an explosion of anger." Thucydides

Reply to
Charlie Self

Charlie,

I'll bet that Olds is a classic today, if you were washing from a galvanized bucket!

Bob

Reply to
bob