hvlp

Perhaps I read it wrong, but it was the following comment that inspired my reply.

"In this argument, I'd lean towards a more forgiving piece of machinery that will give me a decent finish without having to do endless tweaks."

It was indeed clear to me that you're willing to pay for quality. The part of the above statement that caught my eye was that it appeared to imply that the quality equipment will give dramatically better results with less effort. That wouldn't be inherently true.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Agreed. I t would be. I know where my skill level lies, and I attempt to improve that with a variety of means. Reading, practicing in the shop, gobbling up gems in here, and ensuring that the equipment isn't ambushing me are some of the techniques I use.

My post concentrated on equipment and its quality because that was the topic at the time.

If only it were true. If premium tools alone could turn us all into Frids. Naw, that wouldn't be any fun either.

Reply to
Tanus

GREAT POSTING, Thank you very much.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Wow, what a back and forth.

From this I got that the HFT Unit is well worth the $69.00 if one regularly uses the three or four products/finishes delineated and follows the directions in the supplied manual with the exception of possibly switching to longer setup thinning agents to compensate for the hotter air produced by the device.

After that first credible and responsive post, it seemed we went off on the old "buy the best o not regret" arguments from folks who appeared (for the most part) not to have any personal hands-on experience with the HFT Unit.

I am reminded of the old adage suggesting one remain silent and be thought a tool than to speak and remove all doubt. (;

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

As the OP here, I have to agree! I hope all of you will accept my humble but heartfelt thanks! The conclusion is. . . I will determine which of the two HF units has the two stage turbine and focus on that one. Either way I can neither afford nor justify the around $1000+ machines. So for the apparent differences in the $69/$39 HF and the $200+ CH units, I will go with HF. I luv this group!

Reply to
Swampbug

Ok - so we're all agreed then. I'm so glad I was able to bring peace and accord to this little group. Tanus - you buy this round of beer. Swingman - you grab a few girls, there's a thing gonna be happening here...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Spoil-sport. Just for that, you buy the second round of beer.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Hehe. He can buy both rounds. I'll see what I can do about helping Swing with the girls.

Reply to
Tanus

I bought the same sprayer you offered in the link. I picked it up 3 years ago and paid the same for it. It comes with 3 different tips and nozzles. It's a great value and works better than anything else I've tried. I haven't done a spray job yet that I'm disappointed with. I've sprayed everything except shellac (including waterborne finishes). I've had no problems at all getting what I consider to be perfect results. The only issue has been dust and bugs but I made a spray booth to take care of that. You can only change flow and viscosity but that's enough for great results. My brother has an accuspray setup at work that I've borrowed and I can't say it does any better than the cheap HF model. More settings with the Accuspray means more experience required and more variables to screw up. Same thing goes with air brushes. My brother has a single action and a double action brush. I do a lot better with the single action because of fewer settings.

Getting viscosity correct is pretty easy. I don't even use the drip cup. I'll use paint as an example. Fill the spray cup about 1/2 way with paint and then add about 1/4 cup of thinning agent. I use flowtrol/penetrol and also use mineral spirits when doing oil based enamel. I use both for reasons I won't get into here. After adding some type of thinner, stir and look at how the paint moves around. You can gauge viscosity this way. It should look about like heavy cream. I also pull out the stir stick and watch the paint stream off. This is also useful (keep a count). After getting the viscosity to where you want it, close the nozzle all the way and then open to a conservative flow. Test on some scrap and look at the droplets. Adjust the flow to get the desired coverage. If the drops are splotchy and you can't resolve by slowing the flow then the paint needs to be thinner. If the paint runs then you've got it too thin.

Same goes for any material really. There's a lot more to spraying like distance to the work, temperature and so on but you'll figure that out through use. All turbines put out heat but that can be remedied (if needed) by working in shorter time periods. I've sprayed

20 minutes straight without issues. I've sprayed furniture, siding, interior walls, moulding, metal and even canvas with this sprayer.

One other point...you don't need to clean the sprayer after every use. It just depends on how much material vs air is left in the cup. I leave material in it for a couple of weeks at a time. It's a good idea to swirl the cup and squirt out a couple of sprays every other day but that's not even necessary. The only time I had something start to dry in the cup was after 4 weeks. The paint dried to the inside of the cup but was really easy to get off.

So from somebody who actually has this sprayer, yes I'd recommend it. Especially for the price. You can find a lot more opinions on this sprayer with a decent google search.

Reply to
dcamron71

I bought the ble one, which was $49, but I got it for $34. Was very happy with it so far, except you CANNOT unscrew the paint cup using the handle as a lever, or you wil crack it like I did mine. Not terminally, but now I use a large pliers to unscrew the cup.

Reply to
RM MS

I'm glad that everyone else here is mature enough to respect another's opinion and not suggest that a dissenting voice be silenced.

What an a**hole. Grow up!

Reply to
toolman946 via CraftKB.com

Thanks for a very informative reply. I will prolly check it out soon. I am only a few miles from the HF here.

Reply to
Swampbug

Thanks for a very informative reply. I will prolly check it out soon. I am only a few miles from the HF here.

I hope this posts. . .having news server problems

Reply to
Swampbug