How Do You Know When to Replace Sandpaper?

How do you know when to replace the sandpaper on an orbital sander?

Otoe

Reply to
Otoe

After about 6-10 minutes tops.

Reply to
Leon

Only AFTER you turn it off. I made that mistake once. -ouch.

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

Would that be Norton 3X, Leon?

Reply to
Dave in Houston

"Otoe" wrote

Reply to
Swingman

When it stops sanding! I tend to be cheap so I leave mine on until it no longer cuts the way I want it to or the "sand" is rubbed off the paper which ever comes first.

Reply to
Curran Copeland

No, he did mention any particular sand paper. I have yet to use the 3X stuff, I'd like to find it in PSA.

Reply to
Leon

Depends. And everyone has their own ways to decide when to change it. Some will only last ten minutes or so, some longer, some less. Brand, material, backing all make a difference. Best to use a search engine and do some research. If it's in good shape I'll often keep a few used sheets or each grit. A used 100 for instance can sub for a 150 in a pinch, a 60 for an

80, and so on. Never skimp on the final sanding grit though.
Reply to
Twayne

RE: Subject

If you have to ask, "practices extreme frugality" is a phrase that comes to mind to describe you.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Depends. And everyone has their own ways to decide when to change it. Some will only last ten minutes or so, some longer, some less. Brand, material, backing all make a difference. Best to use a search engine and do some research. If it's in good shape I'll often keep a few used sheets or each grit. A used 100 for instance can sub for a 150 in a pinch, a 60 for an

80, and so on. Never skimp on the final sanding grit though.
Reply to
Kate

The operative word is "when?" Not how, I figured that out after using up all the bandaids.

Otoe

Reply to
Otoe

Right now, the sandpaper is changed only when the hook and loop doesn't hold anymore. But seems to me that the paper wore out long before that. I haven't gotten to the point where is catches fire yet which is a sure hint.

Otoe

Reply to
Otoe

Thanks for the advice on the final sanding.

Reply to
Otoe

"Kate" wrote in news:ai6ij.50871$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews8.bellsouth.net:

*snip*

I tend to use sand paper for a long time... So I guess that's why I never need to go 120 - 180 - 220, the paper just wears down gradually for me! (Well, I also use primarily pine...)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Reply to
Roger Woehl

When the sanding action becomes too slow for me to put up with, which rarely takes more than 5-10 minutes of use.

Reply to
John Horner

Sand paper will generally work for pretty long periods however after a point it looses its aggressiveness and begins to take much longer to accomplish the same thing. IMHO paper is cheap compared to my time. The more often I change it, the faster the job gets done.

Reply to
Leon

I don't recall anyone asking for a description; if you go OT, then say so in order that others may more easily ignore you until you at least recall your own origins.

Reply to
Twayne

Tight shorts?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When it gets that hot, either change it or turn it over, you're probably not using the side with sand on it..

(No, I'm not really feeding a troll)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to