how to move machinery?

Unless it's your in-laws...

Reply to
Silvan

I know, I was just asking.

As a matter of fact, I agreed with

My point was that with a load the size of what we are talking, with the weight on a sled, and the friction of the sled on the stairs, it probably coulde be handled by the guys on the stairs alone, and the guys on the rope are insurance. Judgement must prevail as the type and weight of the load increases.

I have already conceeded. I'm a loser! :-)

-- Jim in NC

4 guys could CARRY the kind of loads we are talking about.
Reply to
Morgans

Reply to
Igor

Wow!

Talk about a response. I appreciate all the input from you guys. First I will put some risers on my steps to increase their strength, then I will also put in some vertical supports from basement floor to the steps themselves, and as mentioned, I will support the landing at the top of the stairs. After all that, I think I will use the sled and rope and pulley method for the big trip down the steps. I am not sure about how to keep them from tipping though, they are a bit top heavy and last time I removed the top of the jointer planer combo machine I had to get it realligned by the SCM mechanic, luckily it was back when I bought it and they didn't charge me for the service call, now it's about three years old and these guys charge about $100.00 per hour, Ouch.

Thanks agin for the input, it has been and will be helpfull. The big event will happen on or around the 27th of this month, I will take some pictures and post them on the binaries pics ww group.

Hey Mr. Munster, I hope you will be coming over to help!

Blair

Reply to
Blair

Lay them down on their sides or back, or whatever will make them have the lowest center of gravity. It wouldn't hurt to tie them to the sled, since you are not going to have anyone below them to guide them

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

I brought a DJ-20 in it's crate down my straight basement stairs two years ago. No base, no motor. I violated the rules for which I thank God nothing bad happened. That is, I used your plan. A rope looped around the trailer hitch of a truck controlled by one guy, two guys below. The crate slid on a pair of 2x4s. Two guys under "controlling" the crate. Well, in letting the rope out, it did slip a bit. Things happened far too quickly for the guys on the bottom to do anything about it. Fortunately the crate slipped to the side and stopped against the wall. What ultimately worked was straigthening the crate out and the two guys alone easing it the rest of the way (about 5 feet).

In hind sight I thing the rope should never have been part of this plan if the guys were to be there at all. I don't think there's any way for them to react and take up the load themselves if the rope breaks, is fed too quickly, the rope guy above lets go, whatever. Those guys are gonna be hurt when the crate comes down on them (in this case ~400lbs) If a rope with or without block and tackle is to be used it should be used alone.

BTW, I was one of the two guys below.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

I liked my in-laws, God rest their souls.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Have you given any thought to how to remove them from the basement if need be?

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Maybe contruction of a heated out building (garage) would be a better place to put them. Wouldn't have to lower them down any steps then......

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Yeah! Hehehe... I'll carry your chopsaw!

When?

John

Blair wrote:

Reply to