how to: inlay a cutting brd in countertop

I did recess it. Boy oh boy, did the router make one heck of a mess.

Bought one 12x12 marble tile that kinda went witht he color scheme of the kitchen. Even found grout that was harmonious. Routed out the area for tile plus grout, applied thinset, set the tile, then grouted (a bit later) around the edges. It juts up just a bit. Looks ok, but unfortunately, in my haste to hit the road I forgot about taking a picture.

Wasn't all that difficult, though you gotta remember to plan the routing in such a way that the router has a base to stay on (i.e. route methodically from one end to the other rather than randomly). And, the kitchen sink kept getting in the way as I tried to position the router guide I'd made.

I'd also suggest trying a bunch of 6x6 tiles and comparing the look w/one 12x12, etc.

Reply to
Renata

Thanks for the update.

SteveP.

Reply to
Steven P

I to am looking for a drop in cutting board to repair a burned counter top.

I found this video from This Old House:

thought this was perfect. After a little digging, I found the company that manufactured this product was Counterware. Unfortunately, Counterware is no longer in business.

The closest replacement I have found is from a company called Bull:

have to check the clearance, but I think it will be perfect for my needs. Since the Stainless Steel Tray is not fixed to the counter top, the whole unit can be removed for easy cleaning.

Reply to
Dave

When I installed new countertops a few (10?) years back, I wanted to prevent a similar problem bound to happen from my coffee maker's heating element. I took a 13" piece of hardboard and laminated both sides with scrap (only one side matches the countertop). Trimmed an inch or so off the corners to give it some shape, but I think rounded/radiused would have looked better. Instant hotpad - sacrificial if needed, cost zero. As additional security, I put a square glass tray out of a trrashed microwave oven on top of that, and it catches any drips/overflow from the coffeemaker and further distributes any heat. It still looks like new. FWIW - Installers can generate a tremendous amount of good will by giving the customer a few of these at the end of the job - it's all there and would go in the trash otherwise.

Mount your wooden template with double-backed tape. Don't skimp. Some folks use the THIN carpet tape, others use what looks like regular Scotch tape. I use the latter since there's virtually no thickness to it and the other is too sticky - if you get a wrinkle, you're.... stuck. Clean the counter with 409 and rinse it off with water first to get a good bond. Another FWIW- My cooktop resembles the drop-in SS tray with cutting board that another poster mentioned. Wonderful concept, but a terror to clean. Drips and spatters get between the lift-out modules. With a cutting board stuff would always be straying into the gap if you cook like like I do. Plus, now there's a lip to clean around instead of a flat counter - just like a sink or cooktop. Also, that counterspace is lost to any other use. It got burned, so obviously the room is needed. Where are you going to carve a hot turkey or roast when you need that big cutting board that has a drip groove? I see there's a drain in in the built-in version. Where does it go? The idea of the small laminated piece presented is a cover-up, but may be more feasible in use, and is certainly easier and cheaper. Let us know your progress on this, whatever you decide to do.

-J

Reply to
Joe