How to Cut MDF

I understand MDF is rough on saw blades, so I'm leery of running it through the tablesaw.

How do y'all cut the stuff?

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

| I understand MDF is rough on saw blades, so I'm leery of running it | through the tablesaw. | | How do y'all cut the stuff?

Circular saw, table saw, and/or router.

Morris Dovey

Through the table saw. I typically don't use the stuff in a fine furniture sense so will usually chuck up a somewhat rough blade to cut it. The odd times I did need a nice cut, I used my expensive blade. Didn't seem to cause issues but again it was only a few cuts. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

It's no worse than many hardwoods. I wouldn't worry to much. Attack it with the tablesaw and you shouldnt have too many problems. Employ proper dust collection however and personal dust protection.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

6 Reviews:

- Ryobi One+ Cordless Tool System

- Festool CT Mini Dust Extractor

- Kreg K3 Pocket Hole Joinery System

- Incra Miter Express

- Book: Scroll Saw Fundamentals

- Ryobi BT3100K Table Saw System

www

A narrow kerf means less dust.

Reply to
Robatoy

Table saw.

dave

Reply to
David

Tablesaw. It's not as bad as some would have you believe.

Reply to
CW

If you think about it, it's much like very dense cardboard. No harder on a blade than that. Very dusty though.

Reply to
Joe Barta

You are forgetting about all the glue binding all those zillions of particles together, Joe.

Dave

Reply to
David

Part of the cost of the hobby (or business) is using tools that wear and have to be replaced. Blades wear out. Drill bits and router bits wear out. Narrows the choice to using a blade that is eventually going to wear out or giving up woodworking and buying a tank full of guppies. Some have really neat colors. Eventually they die too, and have to be replaced.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Put original blade that came with tablesaw back on and cut away. Who cares how fine the cut is since mdf basically looks like compressed dog shit anyway.

BTW, the dust is particularly nasty with this stuff. Be sure and use good dust collection and/or a mask.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Since any MDF I've ever used was "in the field" I've always cut with a circular saw with a straight edge clamped down to get the "factory edge". I don't particularly like MDF and don't use it on any of my own projects. Only on jobs where the customer furnishes material. It does paint well and it's fairly hard and flat and cheap. IMO it don't seem any harder on a blade than anything else. Partical Board is much worse on a blade. The dust is extreme. I really, really don't like the stuff. If you're building bookshelves it'll sag. Might be ok for jigs and such but I doubt it.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin L. Bowling

RE: Subject

VERY CAREFULLY.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

G'day Kyle, With a saw dear Lisa with a saw. :) I have used MDF extensively and found it no harder on blades than other timbers. Jarrah for one, definitely gives the blades a much harder time then MDF. Like everything, it has it's place and uses and in those situations it surpasses other products. Sometimes people just take longer than others to accept new products. Check out your tools, fellows, plastic handles, Nylon Bushes. Go with the flow. No good ordering the tide to stop ;)

regards John

Reply to
John B

But wear a dust mask, even if you have an 'efficient' vaccuum system. It's the dust you can't see, not the dust you can that is the bother in the long run.

Reply to
Guess who