How to buy a used forklift ?

DO NOT go into a used forklift store without knowing a lot about the subject. My boss trusted the dealer when he bought a used forklift, and we ended up with a piece of crap that I'm sure the dealer was dying to get rid of. It was under warranty, but the service was slow and frequent.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I think material handling is on topic for me , ;-) Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

More of a tip than anything:

When you pull up to a stoplight allow plenty of room between you and the new Lexus in front of you for the forks - those taillights are damned expensive, DAMHIKT.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Yes, but it makes picking up a pallet in a trailer difficult when you enter backwards.

If the load obscures your vision, it is required that you move backwards. or going down a ramp or incline.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Joey:

The post was relevant to the group. What you can get scolded for is tattling. Are you a netnanny in training?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I don't drive Forklift though someday it might be a good idea to get licensed. For the training/license I confirm with everyone else. Usually it is offered by local colleges or tech centers. In NY(the state) it is offered by BOCES on a regular basis.

Reply to
Young_carpenter

Your point is well taken. In my brushes with forklifts, I always had all the time in the world to do the job. I used load binders when in doubt and had a second pair of eyes watching. Zipping around in a tight warehouse while the boss watches the clock would be a big step up in skill.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

There are personal injury lawyers who specialize in forklift injuries.. probably in every major city of North America.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

"Jim Stewart" wrote

In the convention industry, we use nine foot aisles. Then you have crates in those aisles, and at some times, you have just enough room to drive through an aisle, with only inches on each side, carrying crates that weigh

1,000# or more.. With a wide load, you must raise it about ten feet to clear adjacent exhibits. Many times, you must raise it to make a corner. Then you have to contend with garbage, stupid exhibitors, corners, cleaning people, other lifts, signage, and all manner of things. It has all the characteristics of a beehive.

We use portable aluminum ramps to unload box trailers. We unload up to 100 flats a day. We unload all types of private vehicles.

It gets pretty interesting at times. And it does require a high level of skills. Anyone who has been to a tradeshow installation can tell you it is a chaotic ballet.

Operating a lift in the open, with no one around, or in a quiet warehouse with few people would be infinitely easier.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I think material handling is on topic for me , ;-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I agree. Two things come to my mind: 1.) The topic is one of general interest to people that work around metals and machines. 2.) The Subject is in plain view to anyone, so the slightly OT nature of the post should be no surprise. and C.) If you're new to the group, why don't you just lurk a little longer, until you have a feel for the friendly and tolerant atmosphere here?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I am amazed no one has posted a link to the klaus.mpg forklift training video.

91 mb, but worth the download!

|Are there places that give lessons on how to drive a forklift safely? Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

SteveB wrote: (clip) Anyone who has been to a tradeshow installation can tell you it is a chaotic ballet. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yeah, I've been there. I imagine if you damaged someone's exhibit just prior to opening time, there would be a lot of unhappy people.

In the warehouse where I used to work, when a newbie tried driving a forklift, everyone would gather at a safe distance and make wisecracks--waiting for the inevitable mistakes to happen.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Humorous aside, where I grew up, BOCES was the special education service offered by the school district for students with "special needs".

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Forklifts are made of metal. That qualifies.....

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Anybody got any mechanical info on a Datsun forklift model FG003, with Nissan engine D11K11505? I could use some literature. Doing an overall rebuild. Scans or links will work.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Hey Steve,

What hall are you at??

forklift-shaped

Reply to
Pedroman

At HomeBuilders a couple of weeks ago, a huge overhead stage truss assembly hit the deck when a forklift operator went to tweaking the legs with his forklift. It was bad, but no one was hurt.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

All over. Presently C hall. The down of NADA.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Reply to