How fast to set RPM on router

I have a variable speed router and want to make a 3/4" wide dado about

1/4" deep in pine to start out. Should the speed be set high or low? Probably in the manual, but the manual's at home and I like hearing responses from y'all.

Is there a general rule of thumb for setting the speeds on tools, like routers, drill presses, etc?

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell