How do you laminate art prints

Sorry for cross posting, not too sure which group should I post this question.

Is there a way that one can laminate art prints (posters) at home ? I have some art prints which I want to hang at home and I like the way some shops glue and laminte prints onto boards with some sort of non-glossy laminate texture finish. Is there a way I can do it at home other than paying the shop $150 each ?

Reply to
JW

I would use a 3M spray mount product called Super 77 or similar spray mount. It would basically turn the poster into a big post-it note (albeit a little bit stickier) which you could then stick onto a board. Not sure about what to use for the non-gloss laminate look.

-T

T responds:

There used to be a sheet adhesive mount, many, many moons ago, for photos. Don't know if it still exists or not. That and a warm iron worked nicely. Then a nice matte art spray to dull the surface.

But the last time I did that was some time back in the early or mid-70s.

The OP might google for sheet adhesives, or something similar and follow the trail from there.

Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

Charlie Self

And I tried. Found about 3-4 useful looking pressure (very light) transfer adhesives in 11x14 and 9x12 sheets, around 16 bucks for 10.

No heat needed, apparently.

Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

Charlie Self

I used that stuff in a night college photo class recently. It does still exist, I bought mine at an art / framing supply house.

I remember it being called "dry mount paper".

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Why bother laminating the prints? You can go to a good art supply store such as Michaels and buy inexpensive frames for your prints.

Reply to
Shawn "Me" Hearn

Shawn notes:

But the OP may prefer the look of lamination. I checked my Porter's

catalog earlier: lots of mounting tissue in there at reasonable prices. Almost any photo shop should have similar stuff, art supply stores may also and craft stores (Michael's) could carry some, though I don't recall ever seeing it in the Michael's here--no longer in business, so I can't check.

Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

Charlie Self

I put my posters in very light large frames that I bought at the local super store. It has plastic instead of glass and once you lay your poster on the mat and put on the plastic, you just push the frame (4 sections) on from each side - and they are lightweight. Laminate just could make bubbles.

Reply to
cozy

Plaque mounts for posters are relatively cheap - or should be. Here they cost around 50$ US for a 2'x3' poster. If you want to go real cheap but relatively stable, try using acrylic medium both as a glue (between the poster and the support) and a sealer (over the poster). I've used this to try and preserve newsprint sketches, it works ok.

Cheers;

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Sure, but unless you dry mount them they'll end up with ripples in the poster paper under the glass and you'll have an unattractive and very non professional looking result.

And at poster size even those metal frames that come in sets of two pieces each can run into some real money. If you want something that looks decent you don't even want to think about those flimsy little pieces of plastic that snap on. They start to sag and fall off within a couple months, at least that's been my experience.

Reply to
Chloe

In my experience, laminate yellows after a while.

Andy D.

Reply to
Andrew D