How deep into the wood should a screw go?

If you don't tell anyone that I EVER watched Norm, I'll say that I knew that.

as the roof collapses.

Reply to
krw

boxes!!! After a few weeks on a project using his magnet box finder and keyhole saw to find the hidden boxes and numerous warnings he resorted to the Estwing box finder. When they had to replace repair about 14 sheets of drywall in a single house they learned how to cut their drywall to keep the boxes open!!! (a subdivision of 35 or so good sized homes)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Yeah I failed to mention that the limit should be triple the thickness of the material being fastened as long as it is under 2/3's the thickness of the material being fastened to.

Reply to
Leon

Just Wondering snipped-for-privacy@jw.com wrote in news:Y7HkI.25644$ snipped-for-privacy@fx16.iad:

*snip*
*snip*

YES! Especially you model railroaders out there. Please don't let that point protude! Someone might have to maintain your work one day.

Screws are cheap and last forever if you don't use them. If you've got space, buy 25-lb boxes of the sizes you use most and 5-lb boxes of the ones you use less frequently. Have the right size on hand and you'll never have to use the wrong one.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I buy 25lb boxes (if available) of any sort of construction screw I use. A 1lb box is something like $7, a 5lb box, $15. A 10 lb box is $25 and a 25lb box $30. If I'm using a screw the chances are high that I'll be using that size again.

I also have a box of ever length of #6 to 5/16 machine screw (up to 2" or 4" depending on the size), flat and pan head (with the larger sizes in hex head also). If the stores sold metric screws by the box I'd have those too. I hate going to the BORG just for a screw (which they probably don't have).

Reply to
krw