How deep into the wood should a screw go?

A 1/2" screw for 1/4" material is bad enough.

Reply to
krw

Good one. ... I guess that good-rule-of-thumb was just pushed into the table saw blade ! :-) John T.

Reply to
hubops

I never heard of any such rule of thumb. Up to a certain point, I just want my screws short enough that their points don't protrude. If the bottom piece is thick enough, I shoot for a screw that's at least twice as long as the top piece's thickness. So screwing two 1" boards together I'd go for a 1 3/4" screw. Screwing a 1" board to a 2" board, a 2" or 2 1/2" screw. IOW, I just try to apply a little common sense.

Reply to
Just Wondering

How about "just few nails to tack it in place till the glue dries" for the luan.

Reply to
Markem618

How about not using luan on a ceiling.

Reply to
krw

How do you hang sheetrock? 4/6" screws?

Reply to
krw

Tom Silva suggests...

"e. To determine the appropriate size screw to use for a project, take the thickness of the material being attached and pick a screw that?s roughly 2.5x that."

DerbyDad03

Till the glue dries

Reply to
Markem618

or

Just Wondering

Actually the rule of thumb is close to 2/3's of the thickness of the bottom piece plus the thickness of the top piece.

1" on to 2", use a 2.25 ~ 2.5" screw.

In normal measurements where the 1x is 3/4" and the 2x is 1.5" use a

1.75" screw.
Reply to
Leon

So a screw into 3/4" material attached to another 3/4" material should be 1-7/8" long?

LOL

I replied to the first guy, but should have added not longer than 3 times the thickness of the material to be attached.

Reply to
Leon

LOL actually 6/4" screws.

Reply to
Leon

Wow! I don't want to be the next guy remodeling the place. I bet you're going to hang wall paper on it too. ...and use Elmer's?

Reply to
krw

OK, again assuming the 6" wall and 1/2" sheetrock, you're going to use

4-1/2" screws? The electrician and plumber aren't going to like you.
Reply to
krw

For 1/2" sheetrock, 5/4" (1 1/4") is fine.

Just Wondering

If the electrician's and plumber's work is impacted by the hanging of drywall, then it's their own fault. They missed a step.

DerbyDad03

With 4-1/2" screws in a 6" wall there are going to be problems that aren't the plumber's or electrician's fault. The rocker may not be around to blame, though.

Reply to
krw

Actually, a friend remodeled commercial office spaces, he used liquid nail to attach 5/8" fire rated drywall to the steel wall studs.

As for the till the glue dries comment, you shooting for curmudgeon of the year, or have you forgotten Norm of New Yankees Workshop.

Reply to
Markem618

I suppose those who do commercial demo don't have the same problems as residential.

Must I admit that I know anything about Norm?

Reply to
krw

He would put a few brads in it till the glue dries.

The liquid nails was because of the jets flying into Ohare, the walls would rattle more without it, it was done at the landlords request.

Demo was easy sawzall cuts every 4 foot, sledge at the bottom of the wall, you get 4 x 8 wall section to the dumpster.

Reply to
Markem618