Houston area: Custom Molding needed

My house was built in 1978 and has the cabinet doors made with plywood,

3/8" inset, and a simple molding around all four sides of the door.

I want to reconfigure one area of the cabinets in the kitchen. This will require four new doors. This should be an easy job, except for the molding. I cannot find matching molding in the borgs and I cannot find any router bit or bits that can be used to make the molding.

Can someone recommend an old lumber yard source that would still have this style molding or someone who could make some. I really don't need but about 16 linear feet of the molding so I can afford (and expect) to pay very high price per foot to get exactly what I need.

If you have any suggestions about how to go about making it myself, i am open to that as well. I am always looking for new excuses to get more tools. I figure I will need at least a Laguna 16HD bandsaw like Leon got. :-)

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

Look for millwork or woodworking millwork in the yellow pages or web search engine. Near me (Seattle WA) we have 2 mill shops with custom profiles, either made to order or I get to use the one made for your job after you pay to have the blade made. Both sources also sell hardwood, so maybe call them too.

As for making from scratch, you might be able to do multiple passes on a router table (shaper etc), say a "cove" fallowed by part of a "bead" then a pass on the table saw to size width...you get the picture.

Option B: buy all new doors, many sources, unassembled or assembled, finished or not.

you could post a digital image/drawing on then companion to this group (alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking)...and what ever you not do not search for different newsgroups with the word "nude"...lot's of trouble there.

Reply to
Dave In WA

| I want to reconfigure one area of the cabinets in the kitchen. This | will require four new doors. This should be an easy job, except for | the molding. I cannot find matching molding in the borgs and I | cannot find any router bit or bits that can be used to make the | molding. | | Can someone recommend an old lumber yard source that would still | have this style molding or someone who could make some. I really | don't need but about 16 linear feet of the molding so I can afford | (and expect) to pay very high price per foot to get exactly what I | need. | | If you have any suggestions about how to go about making it myself, | i am open to that as well. I am always looking for new excuses to | get more tools. I figure I will need at least a Laguna 16HD bandsaw | like Leon got. :-)

Bob...

It's probably possible to cut your molding with a CNC router. If you've been looking for an excuse to install a ShopBot, this might be it. :-)

If not, e-mail me a DXF, DWG (or a JPG from which I can trace) of the molding profile and I'll e-mail back a quote for cutting it on mine. Once the profile has been converted to a part program, it shouldn't take more than an hour to have ready for UPS.

Morris Dovey

Wow... sixteen feet of molding. Not much. I would agree with Dave, look for a millwork place around you that specializes in woods, moldings, etc. You may find what you want in a catalogue. Be sure to identify the wood you want to match as some woods are not available in all molding profiles.

If I am picturing the type of doors you are describing correctly they were probably hand built somewhere at a small cabinet shop or by the contractor. If that is the case, the profile is probably not too unusual.

Nice try at the box stores, but they simply aren't trained to know anything about moldings.

If you strike out, try the old famous Google search. I hit "molding profiles" and got a lot of good hits.

Good luck!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I use them for all the trim and molding in the houses I build and know that they will do custom, but for that small amount it would be pretty expensive.

They do, however, have an extensive catalog of profiles and you may well be able to match your trim as it may even have come from them.

Reply to
Swingman

Bison on the West Belt, South bound side between Hammerly and I-10.

Reply to
Leon

You might get lucky at Hogans 7770 Blankenship (713) 683-0991

MikeK

Mason's Mill & Lumber on Tanner will make custom profiles but it's pretty pricey unless you can use 200 feet or so.

Reply to
New Wave Dave

Thanks to everyone! I will begin the search tomorrow using the suggestions I received.

Bob

Reply to
Bob