Home made lathe - part search

Id like to build my own ww lathe. Its got to be small ( turn up to 5 or

6 inch pieces), tabletop version, but sturdy. I have the washing machine motor waiting, and will weld a base (or use black piping. havent yet decided). The rest will be metal (no wood on this one). Questions are:
  1. anyone know of an online source (Im not from the US) to get the basic parts (only essentials such as bearings and...)?
  2. What parts do I need (and dont say pillow block and such. Not familiar with the terms unless you describe them. Sorry)?
  3. Can I manage with a single speed lathe or is it imperative to have a pulley system (and then what parts are required)? Thanks again, Max
Reply to
Max63

You are asking for some pretty finite information on a huge subject. But the internet is here to help. A two second search revealed:

and
about 200 others when using Google search parameters "homemade lathe". I am sure that "shop built lathe" "home built lathe", etc. will be equally successful.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41