Home Depot Flooring

I decided to replace my carpet with hardwood flooring. Went down to Home Deport, selected the floor, they special ordered and delivered it. So far, so good, the day of the installation comes and the flooring company starts pulling up the carpet. The 3 guys doing it said they can see dog urine on the carpet but, as a special favor, they will pull it up anyway but not haul it off to the dump.

What they reported back to their flooring company is the carpet was soaked in dog urine and therefore they can not haul it off. After many phone calls and a lot of wasted time, the carpet is pulled and hauled off.

The flooring material selected could not be guaranteed because the plywood floor has leveling issues. They said I should get nail down flooring.

It seems to me a big step was skipped here. I mean Home Depot accepted my money and someone in the process, one of the people that came out to the house, should have said, 'we can't do this job, we detected dog urine . . .' or whatever. Secondly, for the type of wood selected, they must have known of its shortcomings which requires a perfectly level floor (maybe a floor with cement board).

When I bought the flooring but before signing, I very specifically asked about shortcomings and installation problems. They said they knew of none. So, I guess no house in my area has had a dog pee on the carpet and all houses have been levelled perfectly except mine. Seems ridiculous to me.

If this policy was rigorously enforced, I doubt there would be very many floor installations. I'm waiting to see what Home Depot does, like try to charge me a restocking fee, etc.

At this point tho, they seem eager to take my money then take the word of others that the job cannot be done.

-g

Reply to
Geoff

OK, I see the problem. There are thousands of good, reliable, knowledgeable floor products dealers in the country. Use one of them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

LOL.. Edwin already nailed it:

First mistake. The rest of his advice is precisely what I suggest to my customers. Flooring guys do floors. Window guys do windows. (That in itself doesn't protect you from shysters, so you still need to do some homework and check them out)

Reply to
Robatoy

Edwin has it dead on.

I recently bought (thank god not had installed) kitchen cabinets and some flooring tile from them.

1 cabinet was back ordered for over 2 months and worse they kept saying they would get it to me. This caused me to schedule the counter people then reschedule them when the cabinet didn't show. Had to go through that 3 times.

I bought some off the shelf decorative tile strips from them. But they didn't have enough so I did a will call. Paid for them up front. When they came in they sold them to someone. Had a discussion w/the manager and she did special order them on HD's nickel but that was another week of delay. To be fair that delay didn't actually cause any overall delay in the remodel.

Those two incidents were enough for me never to buy anything serious from them again.

Incidentally the only other hardware/lumber place near here is a Dixieline. Putting in a range hood I needed a 7" stovepipe elbow. About as common an item as you could want. Well HD was out of them of course so I went down to the Dixieline. Had everything I needed. I've been going there for sundries since then and have yet to be disappointed.

But as Edwin mentioned there are plenty of places that specialize in flooring, cabinets, whatever. Yes you will pay a bit more but you will save more than that in lack of hassle.

ml

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

"Geoff" wrote in news:Pfbpe.499$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

1) Sorry about your experience. 2) Was thinking about using the BORG for our hardwood flooring. We don't have a dog, and our floors are pretty level but will now rethink that.

I guess I figured that since HD/Lowe's contracted out the installation, it would be a crap shoot and likely a "lowest bidder" that showed up.

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

I had my two bathroom floors done by Lowes (sheet linoleum). They had a guy come out to measure and look at the existing floors. Ok...no problem raised. The following week the guys come out to install the new linoleum and they told me they can't do it because both bathrooms need a new subfloor and they didn't have the hardware to do the job.

Lowes made good on it with little hassle by giving me the subflooring for free. No additional cost than the original estimate since their guy made the error.

I was quite pleased and would do business with them again.

I haven't heard a single good Home Depot story when something goes unexpected.

Dom

Reply to
Dom

Gee I have had 4 dogs over the years and funny none ever pissed in the house with the exception of a white german shepard when she passed away from old age, her bladder let loose.

I think your rug speaks for itself and gives the correct picture of the situation. Just wouldn't blame Home Depot either.

Reply to
My M-14

Had HD install a new ceramic kitchen floor.... they worked quick and efficient. I'm happy with the true and level of the job. Couldn't do a better job myself and they even saved me $328.00 dollars....

Personally, I'd be embarrassed. The urine stained carpet is basically contaminated waste. I'd tell you what you could do with it!!!

See the Reason Home Depot accepted your money is based on normalcy. Most American Homes don't have urine stained carpets in they're homes and if they did for the most part the stench would cause the homeowner to either shoot the dog or give it away to someone who could properly care for it, and replace the rug!!!! (themselves)

Reply to
homeee

The HD contract for my ceramic kitchen flooring includes that the installer is required to install the subfloor. The installers should have prepared for that. Especially in a bath!!! Regarding my installation they brought 1/4 and

1/2 backerboard. I've used both Lowes and HD with no problems, I prefer Lowes for my lumber and HD for my flooring. Tools either since they carry both comparative and competative tools. The wife likes Lowes because it's clean, but in instances have found "some" people at HD a little more helpful and knowledgeable.

I went to Lowes in Nyack, NY and as soon as we walked into the Kitchen Cabinets, the woman didn't even look up from her desk or as me a question. She blurted out, she was busy and I must make an appointment to see her. Since we were just looking, we figured screw her. Home Expo would get are business... and 20K later they did!

Reply to
homeee

I know some people who own a flooring store (Mom and Pop). They have had installers call them to ask how to install a particular product or technique.

Reply to
toolmiser

The OP figured the installers should just load up his urine-soaked carpet in their work truck, no problem.

Reply to
ATP*

My, it sure is easy to gang up on the guy. How do you know it was his dog and not a previous homeowner? When we pulled up our carpet, we found stains that were not visible at all from the top. Since we did not have a dog and the previous owner did, I'd conclude it was their dog that did it. Or the previous owner.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Depends. Or maybe no Depends:-)

Reply to
ATP*

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:L6spe.8566$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh nuts... Sorry 'bout that Ed... I have this tendency to sleep walk, you see... ;->

Reply to
Patrick Conroy