hint: the tablesaw doesn't go on the ice chest

Well, a determined nibble at best...

I was lurking around when the first protracted and heated arguments over the Saw Stop device patent holder soliciting government to require the installation of these device on ALL tablesaws was fresh.

It was a slow Friday night and thought I'd see how many took the bait.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

We're already there. And then some. One reason I want to move to a sparsely populated area. And as you say, it's primarily about revenue generation. I'm more of a Darwinian myself, as long as what I do doesn't harm others, or interfere with their land or rights - what few are left.

I'd join you, but if'n I started doing that at home alone I'd end up an alcoholic from watching the news...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

There are already medical funding proposals in play to identify gun owners as engaged in dangerous activities so their coverage should be limited. If that succeeds how long would it take to move on to power tools? In terms of overall medical costs though there would very likely be more bang for the buck to stem provider fraud... it's far more rampant than you would imagine though the vast majority of it would never make headlines.

The recently released genetic study where they found that folks carrying a particular gene do 20% worse while driving is another slippery slope... They're probably the same population most likely to have shop accidents.

may be a solution here... DNA test everyone and if you carry the gene you MUST buy a Saw Stop. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Speaking of medical, if you're diagnosed with sleep apnea in California they require that your doctor monitor your CPAP over the internet to ensure "compliance" and if you aren't in "compliance" then they pull your driver's license because people with untreated sleep apnea are more likely to have accidents.

Since most cases of sleep apnea are detected by the patient who then goes to the doctor for confirmation, I wonder just how productive that legislation really is. I mean knowing that being monitored by the government for the rest of your life was a likely outcome, would _you_ seek treatment for it?

I think we need a Constitutional Amendment to the effect that "all legislation which is annoying shall be null and void, when there is question over whether the legislation is annoying, if the judge, clerk of the court, court reporter, or any single member of the jury is annoyed by it, then it is annoying".

Reply to
J. Clarke
3 friends have lost fingers from saws 1 had his fingers other side of blade kickback dragged fingers into blade 2 was cutting big piece of plywood and it started to flip up off blade he pushed it back down fingers onto blade 3 using chop saw I think he had his hand on far side of blade and as he was bringing it down he was pulling back his hand and it touched the blade and dragged it in Not that things go wrong often but I lean way back hands above head when things go wrong I look a little girlish and I still have fingernails to paint if I wanted too... Also have socialized single payer healthcare here but don't want to use it that bad.

Reply to
Rusty

Same deal with behavioral health... the centralized medical database will allow for data mining to identify people who are a threat to themselves or others... any kind of depression (post partum, loss of a child or life partner) or menstrual cycle mood swings could flag someone. With the result being restrictions on civil rights and privileges such as gun ownership, access to jobs, etc. Easiest way to not have this problem is to not seek treatment. Given that people have committed suicide with a bandsaw (recall that thread!) and nail guns, woodshop prohibitions could be targeted too. All kinds of slippery slopes with government monitoring... Orwell was wrong only in his timing.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I do hope that you realize that this is absolute bull shit!!! Why do people make up this stuff?

BTW I live in California and I have sleep apnea and I have a doctor prescribed CPAP machine and it is not connected to the internet.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Coby

I think all 3 of those examples are good lessons and I'm going to especially remember 1 and 2. Another one, recently mentioned by a reader in FWW, happened when the reader reached down to turn off his saw and he still held his push stick near the blade--and as he leaned over the saw blade propelled the push stick through neck (in this case, the result was not as bad as it could have been).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I'm guessing he had the saw guard off.

Reply to
-MIKE-

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Wearing flip-flops quite a bit and soldering (yes, I do wear them when soldering... but they're usually safely tucked away under a table) tends to encourage the "just let it drop" response. :-)

Ethical question for woodworkers: If you just spent 8 hours tuning a plane and it drops, is it ok to risk injury to yourself to prevent injury to the tool?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Further proof that the internet is the best possible source to spread lies at the speed of light.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I'd say that's where the not-so-common common sense comes into play. If you can grab it at the handle or body and avoid the blade, do it, if not, don't. And if you're not sure, don't. Put a padded mat under your workbench.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I certainly was a better place when the domain of educators, scientists, and... er... MIL contractors?

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Perhaps I was misinformed. I asked of a manufacturer why on God's earth anybody would want a CPAP with Internet access and was informed that it was so that doctors in California could monitor compliance per the state law requiring that people who are not using their CPAP be reported. Perhaps the salesman made it up on the spot.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It must be failing eyesight. But I swore that everybody was talking about a CRAP machine. Oh well, I wasn't far off.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I did a little googling and I did verify that there are CPAP machines that will do remote status updates via a modem and phone lines. However that is a long way from a state law that requires monitoring and pulling one's drivers license.

I continue to be amazed and amused by the various claims, mostly from the right, about how California regulates our life.

Reply to
Dan Coby

As do most people.

Reply to
CW

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

Yes, there is an ethernet port. Yes, the doctor can read your usage from the machine. Yes, the dispensary can apply updates.

There's not a lot of granularity to the data captured by the machine -- time is use is recorded, but it may only be that the machine was on X hours and X minutes during day X. Most likely, the doc is gonna say "Oh, you're getting an average of 7 hours and 35 minutes (to make up a number), and you're using the machine 99% of the time (i.e., almost daily). Keep it up."

And then they'll say, "Do you need any filters? You know insurance will pay for a new hose and headgear every six months? Oh, well if you don't want that, how about some new nasal pillows? Insurance will pay for those every three months!"

Occam's razor would suggest that the monitoring is most often used to keep you coming back, and to keep you getting billable supplies.

BTW, my weekends greatly skew my average daily use numbers!

Reply to
Steve

You weren't alone. :-)

Reply to