Help with a large recess

I need to create a 2 1/2 circular recess in a hunk of wood for a project my son is working on. My largest forstner bit is 2 1/8. My instinct is to g et one of those adjustable hole bits and work in from 2 1/2 to 2 1/8 and le t the forstner gobble up the remainder. Depth is only 1/2 inch or so. I'm sure there is a better way to do this ... so let's hear from you guys :-)

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Just in case, do you have a lathe?

Reply to
Leon

Might consider a router w/ guide bushing and template, or something similar.

Reply to
Digger

Buy, beg, or borrow this (we call it a "fly cutter" in this neck of the woods):

Use it to cut the proper size hole in 1/2" plywood so that you can use a router, with a guide bushing attached, to make your recess.

Remember you will have size the hole in the plywood "hole jig" to also accommodate the guide bushing.

Reply to
Swingman

A forstner bit will leave a small guidepoint hole at the center of every place you use it. You probably don't want that. Use a router, a straight bit and make a jig to guide the router.

I've never tried one of these, but maybe it would do the job:

Just Wondering

my son is working on. My largest forstner bit is 2 1/8. My instinct is to get one of those adjustable hole bits and work in from 2 1/2 to 2 1/8 and let the forstner gobble up the remainder. Depth is only 1/2 inch or so. I 'm sure there is a better way to do this ... so let's hear from you guys :- )

Leon hit it right. Simple job on my new lathe. Karl's suggestion was an i mprovement over what I was considering.

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Lathe?? What's a "lathe"? ;)

Reply to
Swingman

A woodcarver would "drill" lots of holes to the desired depth---easy enough if you have a drill press. Then use a gouge to clear off what is left. Maybe one of those new-fangled "oscillating" tools, could be used to help clean up the inside surface? I can't say.

How about if I work on this one for a while, while you work on my "blade guard"? : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Big machine for making lots of saw dust. wish Festool would make one. LOL

Reply to
Leon

my son is working on. My largest forstner bit is 2 1/8. My instinct is to g et one of those adjustable hole bits and work in from 2 1/2 to 2 1/8 and le t the forstner gobble up the remainder. Depth is only 1/2 inch or so. I'm s ure there is a better way to do this ... so let's hear from you guys :-) La rry

I can mail you a router bit that size, if you mail it back to me. Best use d on/in a router table, slow feed or 1/8" increment feed. You'd need a jig to hold the stock steady, as you feed it. Click the left arrow for anothe r view:

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

You mention new lathe. Are you new to working with a lathe?

If so I can recommend "3" THREE turning tools that will cover 99% of your turning needs until you get into turning vessels.

And Absolutely little to no learning curve.

Reply to
Leon

The stuff they used to use to key plaster? :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Swingman wrote in news:8aqdnRziuqSxYyzPnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

It's a fascinating tool that propels long strings of shavings at you, then if you're not careful it propels long cylindrical shapes at you. Basically, the best excuse to wear armor in the woodshop I've ever seen. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Leon ...

This is lathe 2. I started with a little Rikon 12x16 to see if I enjoyed t urning and could develop a bit of a skillset. 18 months later I confirmed the former ... but am still working on the latter. I moved up to a Nova 16

24-44 a few weeks ago and am still making friends with it. Both had prior owners and the first came with about 15 chisels/gouges. I've since added a Hunter #5 carbide and the Sorby Turnmaster set in HSS. I like the Hunter but find the Sorby hard to control as you need about a two-inch setback on the tool rest to accommodate the interchangeable tool head.

Puckdropper ...

Yup. The bowl I'm working on now decided to leave the chuck at an inapprop riate moment. I always wear face and head protection.

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Sounds like you are vested like I was. I am on my second lathe, both came with their own set of tools plus a few that I have bought.

Anyway the new stile of tools with replaceable carbide tips never need to be sharpened and are simple to use. I struggled for years with the conventional tools and finally switched over to this style and now I'm not afraid to tackle anything.

Keep us posted on that new Nova!

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

Naaah. You know they won't.

The way I see it, they can't figure out how to make a woodchip suction system that would pick up 99.5% of the wood chips generated by a lathe, so they won't make a machine that can't keep their high standards.

Ducking and running.

Reply to
Morgans

Probably true. But, knowing Festool they will make a machine that turns out pieces that look like they were made on a lathe and contains 99.5 % of the saw dust. LOL

Reply to
Leon

so let's hear from you guys :-)

*********************************** Drill 1/4" pivot hole to ~3/8". Set pivot arm for 1.25" (outside cutter) radius. Then make one circumnavigation with this:
Remove the apparatus and waste to the circumferential ring. Good to any practical radius.
Reply to
pat

1/4" pivot hole to ~3/8". Set pivot arm for 1.25" (outside cutter) radius. Then make one circumnavigation with this:
le_maker.html Remove the apparatus and waste to the circumferential ring. G ood to any practical radius.

Jeez, I could have used that when making a recessed marble top bistro table . The marble was 1/2" thick and 28" in diameter. I used the router, but m y custom jig wasn't nearly as precise as what you're showing/offering. I w asn't completely pleased with my marble's fit into the non-precise round re cess.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Leon, whatever you're doing with a lathe, I suspect you're doing it wrong. You might get some wood chips/shavings but very little dust. A guy taught me how to use a wood lathe about 35 years ago. One afternoon his son came to visit the shop. Let's have a little fun, says father. He mounted 2 bits of freshly cut ash tween centres on 2 Myford lathes. Timber about 4"dia & 2ft long. Longest unbroken shaving wins, loser buys the first round this evening. Off they go and really fun to watch. Unbroken shaving going up and over their shoulders. Father won at 94ft. Son was about 10ft shy. Good lad, he bought the beers. That is the cutting method. Scraping method, whilst valid, doesn't rock my boat. Good luck & best wishes for a happy Christmas to all. Nick.

Reply to
Nick