Help, I don't understand!!!!

Steady on, old chap !

Reply to
Bob Martin

That's because Sox is the homophone/homonym for the plural of "sock."

Reply to
George

I've heard enough jokes and watched enough Monty Python to understand most US/UK translations. The only one I really don't get, is Wrench/Spanner. Most of the other ones are just a different (older?) term for the same thing. Hood/Bonnet makes sense. An Elevator elevates you, a lift lifts you. Wrenches wrench things. Span is something that connects or encompasses two things. I would think this would be a better term for a screw, or maybe a ruler.

Reply to
Fenrir Enterprises

Make perfect sense ... a "spanner" works by precisely 'spanning' two parallel surfaces of a nut. A "shifting spanner" is adjustable in its span.

Reply to
Swingman