HELP

I am working on a new cabinet that is round I built the curve with 7 layers of 1/8" bending birch, formaldahyde resin glue, final veneer is macasser ebony. my problem is that all my lacquer has cracked after finishing it there seems to be so many reasons for this I could have put it on too thick, the temperature dropped significantly, from my understanding i thought you could pack lacquer till the cow's came home. Am I wrong? does any one know if it's o.k. to wet sand in between coats with paint thinner? and what if you cut through the finish and some of the veneer absorbs some paint thinner? I've got about 20 coats on it and it looked so beautiful before it cracked I don't want to use stripper I'm afraid of damaging the veneer. so I'm trying to sand it all off so that maybey I could keep these coats as grain filler does anybody have any suggestions

Reply to
fyrebyrd69

How long did you wait to start finishing after it came out of the clamps? I'm wondering if the wood "sprang back" a bit after you had the lacquer on it. Imagine taking an ice tray out of the freezer and bending it - the cubes pop out. I think that the same type of thing has happened to your lacquer.

20 coats?!?! Sounds like overkill to me. I think that going with fewer coats would make the finished less likely to crack.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
fyrebyrd69

You're welcome.

BTW, I recently read about these new characters that one can use when typing that help in making sentences more legible. They're funny looking things like this: . , ; ' Apparently, you can even combine them to make little jestures: ;-)

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
fyrebyrd69

Lacquer and paint thinner do not mix. This is probably not a problem really but paint thinner won't add anything to process.

Lacquer will always disolve with lacquer thinner so you should be able to soak the finish with a wet rag of thinner and wipe away the lacquer ( a section at a time) rather than sanding which will likely hose right through the veneer eventually.

Although I would probably start over a bit, rough sand down right through the veneer. Then use some filler to build up and sand down to a smooth finish. Then re-veneer.

Spray a tinned coat of lacquer. Lightly sand with 400. then use a clear paste filler like this

to flatten the surface. You fill and sand. Then seal coat with 2 or maybe 3 thin coats with proper drying time between each and steel wool or synthetic scrub pads. Let the final coat be real wet (thinned) and try to let it flatten itself to a high gloss.

I think you had too many layers.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Reply to
Knotbob

From another list.

Opinions accepted.

Lew

---------------------------------------- Hey Guys, I really need your advice on a serious problem:

I've suspected for some time now that the missus has been cheating.

The usual signs: Phone rings . if I answer, the caller hangs up.

She's going out with the girls a lot.

I try to stay awake to look out for her when she comes home, but I usually fall asleep.

Anyway, last night about midnight I hid in the shed behind the boat.

When she came home she got out of a sporty looking car, buttoning her blouse .

then she took her panties out of her purse and slipped them on...

It was at that moment, while crouched behind the boat, that I noticed a "hairline crack" in the outboard mounting bracket...

Is that something I can just weld myself . or do I need to replace it?

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Replace it , both !! Jr

Jerry - OHIO

[...]