HEAVY MACHINE

I am buying a metal lathe. It weighs 560 lbs. what would be the easiest way to raise it to the heighth needed to place it on a work bench.

Thanks to all. Smitty

Reply to
papadoo1

Where is this happening? Basement? Garage? etc.

I presume a garage.

Can you rent an engine hoist? Hydraulic motorcycle lift?

Otherwise, four to six very strong men... And lots of prayer.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill

and good cribbing lumber...

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Archimedes said, give me a lever long enough and I can move the world. Seriously though you might consider some automotive floor jacks rigged with a wooden platform or cribbing. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Block and tackle?

Reply to
Combustis Maximus

And beer - don't forget beer. AFTER THE LATHE IS IN PLACE!!!!

Seriously: How is the lathe getting to your shop? My 1442 was lighter but the shipper loaded it into my pickup. I backed into the garage shop and assembled one set of legs to the frame while the rest was in the bed of the pickup. Then I slid some heavy-duty metal sawhorses under the frame and gently slid everything free of the truck so I could install the other set. You might be able to do something similar to get it on you bench. I'd still recommend helpers. And Beer.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

A couple of Canadian girls?

Reply to
Robatoy

Get a crane!

Reply to
Will

My mum.

She can lift anything.

I remember when I was a kid, she'd get off the bus with about 20 shopping bags in each hand.

:o)

Reply to
Sean

Reply to
Steve

"Robatoy" wrote in

Somethings never change... thank goodness! Hi Robo

Tom

Reply to
Tom Bunetta

Easiest way? Find the nearest bodybuilding gym and offer 50 bucks each for however many assistants you think you need. Make sure you've got enough guys to lift the weight without straining and make sure they demonstrate that they can before you leave (gyms are handy that way).

Doing it solo I'd probably use some cinder blocks and a jack. Lift one end at a time, go in steps, and make sure that your stack of blocks is stable.

If you've got the overhead clearance a come-along would do nicely for that weight, but don't get any part of your body under it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
Bill Hall

It's coming by boat (to Hawaii) and I will have to pick it up with my truck. The idea of a rental lift sounds like the way to go. Thanks to all.

Smitty

Reply to
papadoo1