Hardwood source around Chicago???

The subject says it all. Does anyone have a listing or source for hardwood suppliers near or in Chicago? I'm looking to do a wall of T&G, but not the knotty stuff sold at the borgs. We want something clear and straight grain, fir maybe. Anyone know where to buy it milled, or a supplier of unmilled stock? TIA, Mark

Reply to
Mark L.

Owl Hardwoods in DesPlaines used to do custom milling in their old place on Route 62, Algonquin Rd. New place - which I haven't frequented much in recent years - is much larger and I honestly don't recall if they are still milling custom stuff there.

Woodwerks in Wauconda on Old Rand Rd also used to do custom stuff. Again, haven't been there lately.

G.C. Mill, Woodstock, IL 815/337-0531 (Route 14 between (Woodstock & Harvard)may be some help as they buy rough and milled and surface four sides on site. Husband wife team of Gerardo and Cindy run the place. Nice folks to deal with.

Hope this is of some help.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Reply to
Mark L.

You could try WoodWorld

which is supposedly on Elston in Chicago. I say "supposedly" because I never hear anything about it and wonder if they're still there. Their home page says they do custom millwork. I've been to the store on Elston once about two years ago. If you check it out, report back to let us know what you find.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

I need the help of you wood-Guru's. Recently relocated to southern Cabarrus county just north of Charlotte, and need a good source.

Many thanks in advance!!!

Reply to
spamsucks

Send me your email address and i can get you walnut, cherry, cedar and others near Mt. Airy.

Reply to
myxpykalix

I also live in Cabarrus County.

You can get red oak, soft and hard maple, poplar, and mahogany from Klutz Lumber in Concord (one block West of the hospital behind Shoney's). They also sell fir in common sizes.

If you're willing to drive about 25 miles the Charlotte Hardwood Center on Golf Acres Drive (near the airport) in Charlotte has a pretty good selection.

e-mail me direct for further help.

Reply to
Charley

I've tried

to find local lumber and it does a pretty good job. It's not comprehensive and only lists those that sign up to be listed.

Layne

Reply to
Layne

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will use Klutz (Concord) for day-to-day supplies and continue to use the Hardwood Store (Gibsonville NC) for other needs - I'm up that way once a month or so.

Reply to
spamsucks

Reply to
Mark L.