Hard Starting RAS

My DeWalt 7740 began to start hard today. It doesn't always do it, but there's a distinct effort (and a burning smell, as the motor is trying really hard to start) to start the motor rather than the usual quick and smooth starts. I'm not sure about this, but when pulling the saw through the wood the motion seemed more "grabby". I wonder if that's a sign of the blade slowing down?

The blade spins freely and the bearings are new.

If a start cap was going bad, would the motor behave in this manner? Any other likely suspects?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If not the starting capacitor, perhaps a dirty (or otherwise malfunctioning) centrifugal switch. There is a switch that engages the starting capacitor and then takes it "off line" when the motor is running. Never had this problem with a RAS, but had something very similar with a large office cross cut shredder. A good dose of compressed air in the direction of that switch (mounted at the end of the shaft) offered a temporary cure.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Puckdropper wrote in news:1SzbC.20723$ snipped-for-privacy@fx10.iad:

Sounds like the start cap to me.