Harbor Frieght 8" drill press (central machinery 44506-1VGA)

I'm thinking of picking one of these up for limited use in my shop for cutting plugs, spindle sanding and maybe even to drill a hole once in a while. As I mentioned, it would probably see very little use. I don't have a drill press now, and if I got this, it would be in addition to a dedicated mortiser (a Delta, not the crappy one they have at HF). What do you guys think? Is this worth the $40 or would I do better to buy $40 worth of clamps? Thanks!

Regards, Adam Diehl

Reply to
Adam Diehl

Works like a champ. I just got through rough drilling 96 mortices using forstner bits and a simple table extension/fence/stop. It sees constant duty with the Woodcraft strop kit for keeping an edge on those chisels I've been using to clean up the mortices.

For $40, can't go wrong - in fact I might get another for dedicated strop duty.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:45:46 -0500, Adam Diehl calmly ranted:

Get the Pittsburgh bar clamps instead. I have one of the little

8-inchers and it's so powerful, you can stall the motor with a 3/4" bit and about ten pounds of down pressure. The spindle is a taper fit which rules out any side pressure whatsoever, so it isn't usable for sanding, period.

But, if you don't mind an eighth of an inch runout, they're not bad. ;) (Between a cheap chuck and the spindle bearings/loose fit, it can either wobble or just move all over the place.)

It was worth the $40, but I need a real drill press, too. The throat depth is too small to drill out the saw blade holes for my old table saw's larger arbor.

-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience --------------------------------------------

- Web Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'd suggest spending a bit more and getting the Grizzly floor model (I forget what it is exactly) for around $200. The chuck is on with a Jacobs taper but if it comes off, you can clean the inside of the chuck and the taper with acetone or rubbing alcohol and wack it back on with an aluminum or rubber mallet and it'll never come off again IMHO.

We have one for real light duty use at the shop and subject it to all kinds of tests. Side load, overloaded hole sizes, etc. When customers send us samples to drill, we clamp the most obnoxious heads onto the unit with an adapter and stall it often, but it just keeps going and going. The belts are cheap to replace via McMaster (write down their sizes when the unit comes in and order a spare set if you think you'll abuse it like we do) and the built in light bulb is nice for a small machine.

I can shoot you a digital picture of the quill and chuck it comes with from my shop if you (or anyone else) wants. It'll be Monday, but I promise to send it.

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com Northern, NJ Ride a Motorcycle? Ask me about "The Ride"

once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

Reply to
Joe

Sorry Lar, I musta got the good one...

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 20:46:09 -0700, Doug Winterburn calmly ranted:

I just KNEW they had sent at least 1 good one to somewhere in the Southwest... Congrats.