Grizzly G1182hw vs G1182zhw?

Got a question for the wise folks of wreck. :-)

I was just at the Grizzly outlet in Bellingham, WA and looked at the grizzly

6" jointers. After trying both the lever style and handwheels, I decided that I liked using the handwheels much better. So this came down to 2 models for me:

G1182HW - Handwheels, stamped steel base, $310 Christmas special G1182ZHW - Handwheels, heavy steel cabinet base, $425

My question to you folks is; While I know the heavy cabinet style base is what's desired for lower vibration and greater stability, is going with the stamped steel base really that bad? At $310, it's a hard price to beat and I can use the difference to buy more router bits. :-)

Cheers, Winthrop

Reply to
W Chan

looks like the same machine, different stand.

if the weight of the stand is too low, you could add a few concrete blocks inside. if it's not rigid enough you could beef it up with some angle iron or plywood gussets.

Bridger

Reply to
nospam

Consider this jointer too. Shipping would be minimal to you as they're located in Seattle.

am probably going to order the Sunhill soon.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Thanks for the tip! Turns out Sunhill is only 20 miles away from where I live, so I just emailed them to see if I can check out the machine in person. If it looks good, I might go this route as well since it's sure alot closer than driving 100 miles to Grizzly!

From a search on google, it sounds like their manufacturer is the same one for the Jet 6" Jointer. Cool.

-Winthrop

Reply to
W Chan

In case you are still looking at the Grizzly, go with the G1182ZHW. I purchased the other one last month and it is a pain to assemble and it does vibrate more than I would like. It does work, but if I were to do it again, I would go with the solid base.

++++++++++++++
Reply to
Andy

Yep, that's the rumor. But true or not, I've been able to find nothing but positive feedback on this unit.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

When I equipped my first shop, I got the non Z model. It worked fine but like the other poster said, it vibrated but I didn't know any different. I'm now equipping my new shop and bought the "Z" model. The one piece unit makes a big difference. Right now, it is the same price as the non Z, and only $15 more in shipping. Was a wise move for me and I personally like the levers as opposed to the handwheels.

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:57:51 -0800, "Brian" brought forth from the murky depths:

Why not this other little beauty?

Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ==============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 06:41:53 -0600, "D. J. Dorn" brought forth from the murky depths:

My Griz bandsaur vibrated with the standard v-belts on it. The non-Fenner powertwist belt made an enormous difference in both audible noise and vibration.

============================================================== Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ==============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

As another datapoint, these guys weren't too fond to the 1182Z in this comparison test:

Brian

I canceled my order for the grizzly when I found out about the sunhill. Couldn't be happier. You will need to shim the table extensions to get them to be flat, but that's not too hard (I also took one edge of each washer to my grinder to flatten it so it doesn't push the extension up when tightened).

Once it was together and I got it all trued, it cut like a beauty. I love it.

Sure I wouldn't mind an 8", but I put the money into the Grizzly G0555 bandsaw instead :)

Good luck, Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

I just came back from the Sunhill "showroom". Definitely a low overhead operations. It was pretty much a warehouse, an assembly and staging area, and some offices. The staff was really cool and gave me a tour of the whole facility.

They didn't have any CT-60L 6" jointers to show me at the time, but I did inspect a 8" jointer they were assembling in the staging area. Overall, it looked rock solid. The table was polished and flat, the base was welded and sturdy. One thing I didn't realize was that the way they got the 52" length was by bolting on 3" extensions to each end

I guess what I liked the most about Sunhill so far is that they are up front about everything. They said these were mfg in Taiwan by a company called Chui Ting. They told me up front the manuals are a bit weak, but they are working on improving them. Their staff seemed pretty focused on customer service and they were open to all the questions I fielded. Definitely felt like a mom-and-pop operations. Warm, friendly, and seemed willing to be flexible.

They have a shipment of 6" jointers coming in 3 weeks and I'll probably place an order with them for my "Christmas present". :-)

-Winthrop

Reply to
W Chan

Hey Mike. Overall, how'd the initial adjustments go? What did you use to make the adjustments, and out of curiosity, does this jointer have springs or jack screws?

Thanks.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian