Great Replacement Top For Used Caulk Tube!

Soooo I have at least 5 utility knives..... I could only find the one with the dull blade with no spares for it... When I finish the task I located the other 4, all where they were supposed to be. I was just not looking for what I though I was looking for.

Reply to
Leon

On 3/27/2018 4:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote: Snip

I typically have 5~6 pencils in the shop. They are typically in one spot or no where to be found. :~)

My lumber supplier gives me a new pencil or two when I buy wood. These are good pencils and are closely guarded in my desk drawer. I think I have about 50 stashed away. I give the pink ones to my wife. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Whew! I thought you may have been going another direction with that. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Thinking a little more about this, can you reuse them? Seems that they renew a tube that is dried up on the end but it will dry up again if you do not use the remainder of the tube.

Reply to
Leon

LOL, I have used those and they work well until they get a little too old, 6~8 years., The rubber dries out, cracks, and hardens. Worked pretty good on air tool male couplings too, until they dried out, cracked, and hardened. A wire brush is necessary to remove at that point. ;~(

Reply to
Leon

The only thing that keeps you from reusing a tube of caulk is usually that the nozzle is all clogged up and dry, and often even some inside the tube. As we all know, it's very difficult to pull dried caulk out of a tapered nozzle from the small end. And when you do, you usually end up buggering up the nozzle, and you need to put on an aftermarket nozzle or fashion some other "shop-tip" solution.

Imagine if you could take the entire nozzle end off of every tube of caulk, so you could pull out the died caulk from the big side, wipe off the residue, put the nozzle back on the tube and start again with a fresh nozzle.

That's what this Tube-A-New accomplishes. And since it slides right off, it can be cleaned out and reused again, if that's what the user wants to do.

So yes, I see them as a reusable product. However, you now have to deal with the hole size issue. Not a big deal if you need the same size or bigger, just like with any tube.

I could see easily getting 2-3 reuses out of the same one before deciding to dump it. I could also see someone keeping 3 Tube-A-News for each material, with 3 different sized nozzle holes. There is some labor involved in cleaning out the Tube-A-New after each use, but it's probably akin to painters cleaning their brushes.

It would be a trade-off. The time it takes to clean them out to keep 'em out of the landfill vs. the convenience of having a bunch of cheap, disposable, single-use items that don't require any extra time for clean-up.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have dental picks so when I am anal about it I can preserve the tip, but maybe not that anal most of the time though.

Reply to
Markem

I've bought packs of 50 .7mm mechanical pencils at WallyWorld for about $5.

Reply to
krw

I have a bunch of them, all lined up in a drawer. When I'm working on a project, they slowly start walking out of the drawer and sit around various benches (and horizontal surface, really) watching me work. When I'm all done, I round them up and put them back to bed. There are a couple of 100-packs of blades in the drawer, too.

Reply to
krw

Where do I send the bill for a new keyboard?

Reply to
krw

Leon wrote in news:uMWdnQxTOvEJLibHnZ2dnUU7- S snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I got this neat little thing from Lee Valley that held a pencil on a retractable cord. It's great for when you're doing a lot of work where you put the pencil down often. (Turning gets to be like that sometimes-- make a mark, cut the mark off, replace it.)

I got jabbed a few times bending down to pick something up, so I tend to not to use it.

FWIW, a GOOD pencil sharpener IS required shop equipment. I went for the "old school" school-style (Boston L, or X-acto L now) pencil sharpener. No batteries, no electric cords, and the pencil is sharp in 15-20 seconds.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

the nozzle or the

Mind, meet gutter.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I still prefer something with a point, relatively sharp one. Might be from my old drafting days. I do not do a lot of marking so a good pencil will last me a long time. It has probably been a couple of years since I have taken one of those pencils out of my desk. It's not unusual for me to not make a single mark during a full day of cutting wood.

Reply to
Leon

I have my "old drafting days," too!

I rue the day when I left my drafting tools somewhere, including all the pencils and leads. To this day, I prefer a really hard lead like a 2H or higher... if I can find it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

My old t-Square is hanging on the wall about 4' from me right now. Behind me, on a book shelf, my old electric eraser. My old stationary heavy spin around mechanical pencil sharpener is around here some where. I think I still have my triangles. AH! my old bow compass set is in the shop. Then in 86 I started drawing with CAD, self taught. It was a hobby then for wood working.

Reply to
Leon

I use those around the house and shop. For drawing on real paper I use .3mm or .5mm, depending).

Reply to
krw

Yep! Been there before and it'll find its way back again.

Reply to
krw

-MIKE- wrote in news:p9e0pj$f7l$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Mike, thanks much for posting this. I've already ordered the $1 sample, and I expect I'll order a

5-pack within a day or two after that arrives. Finally, something that might actually *work* for saving caulk!
Reply to
Doug Miller

I got my 5-pack the other day. I'm waiting for a "real world" usage to post a review.

Reply to
-MIKE-