Great Replacement Top For Used Caulk Tube!

Finally someone came up with a great solution re-using your half-used caulk tubes. This is a really cool product and is cheap enough to make reusing caulk worth it. https://www.tubeanew.com
I'm going to order a 5-pack of these to keep in the work van for several reasons. 1. I'm not a fan of filling landfills with perfectly good caulk, adhesives, roofing tar, and other stuff. 2. Even though I pass the cost on to the client, I would rather be able to use one tube of caulk for several jobs, than buy a new one for each job. 3. Most importantly: whether in the shop or on the job site, I hate when I have to run to the store to get some tube-based product that I know I have a used tube of on the shelf or under the seat of my van, but I can't use because the tip is all dried up and/or it's been cut too big. 4. I've used every single "caulk saver" product out there and while some of them work ok, none of them completely solve the problem and all of them cost as much or more than this Tube-A-New.
I'm not that concerned about wasting a $3 tube of painters' caulk (even though I still don't want to have it in a landfill) but some of the specialty adhesives and most of the pure silicone products are up near and over 10 bucks a tube, now.
A buck and a half to be able to use silicone caulk more than once is a no-brainer for me. Also, the design makes it pretty easy to push the caulk out the Tube-A-New backwards and reuse it again on another tube.
Can't wait to get these. I'll report back with a review as soon as I use one.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/27/2018 12:59 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Looks great but might be more expensive if you are only saving less than half of a tube. But for the expensive stuff this should be good.
On 3/27/18 1:15 PM, Leon wrote:

It would definitely save money for the expensive stuff, but I see it more as a butt-saver.
There are so many times when I'm on a job and the need arises for some calking that was previously unplanned for. Crap! Now I have to run to the hardware store for caulk, no wait! I have half a tube under my seat, yea! Nope, crap again! It's all dried up in the nozzle or the nozzle is cut back to 1/2" from the end. Wait, I have Tube-A-New!! :-)
Worth every penny for that considering the time it saves.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/27/2018 1:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

There is that and excuse me for forgetting the "get you out of a jam" situation. LOL
Now where is that utility knife???
On 3/27/18 1:57 PM, Leon wrote:

Utility knives and in the same category as tape measures in my book. There needs to one within reach at any and every location I keep or use tools. Every bench, vehicle, tool box, everywhere. :-)
--

-MIKE-

+1 ...and pencils. There has to be one within reach from wherever I am in my house or at work.
On 3/27/18 4:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

YES, pencils, too. (and reading glasses)
--

-MIKE-

On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 5:53:59 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:

the

ngle

oon as

be

me

ave to run to

r my

the nozzle or the

ew!!   :-)

For me, it's a step ladder, stool or chair. ;-)
On 3/27/2018 4:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote: Snip

I typically have 5~6 pencils in the shop. They are typically in one spot or no where to be found. :~)
My lumber supplier gives me a new pencil or two when I buy wood. These are good pencils and are closely guarded in my desk drawer. I think I have about 50 stashed away. I give the pink ones to my wife. ;~)

I've bought packs of 50 .7mm mechanical pencils at WallyWorld for about $5.
On 3/28/2018 8:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

I still prefer something with a point, relatively sharp one. Might be from my old drafting days. I do not do a lot of marking so a good pencil will last me a long time. It has probably been a couple of years since I have taken one of those pencils out of my desk. It's not unusual for me to not make a single mark during a full day of cutting wood.
On 3/28/18 10:06 PM, Leon wrote:

I have my "old drafting days," too!
I rue the day when I left my drafting tools somewhere, including all the pencils and leads. To this day, I prefer a really hard lead like a 2H or higher... if I can find it.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/28/2018 10:47 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

My old t-Square is hanging on the wall about 4' from me right now. Behind me, on a book shelf, my old electric eraser. My old stationary heavy spin around mechanical pencil sharpener is around here some where. I think I still have my triangles. AH! my old bow compass set is in the shop. Then in 86 I started drawing with CAD, self taught. It was a hobby then for wood working.

I use those around the house and shop. For drawing on real paper I use .3mm or .5mm, depending).

I got this neat little thing from Lee Valley that held a pencil on a retractable cord. It's great for when you're doing a lot of work where you put the pencil down often. (Turning gets to be like that sometimes-- make a mark, cut the mark off, replace it.)
I got jabbed a few times bending down to pick something up, so I tend to not to use it.
FWIW, a GOOD pencil sharpener IS required shop equipment. I went for the "old school" school-style (Boston L, or X-acto L now) pencil sharpener. No batteries, no electric cords, and the pencil is sharp in 15-20 seconds.
Puckdropper
On 3/27/2018 2:11 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Soooo I have at least 5 utility knives..... I could only find the one with the dull blade with no spares for it... When I finish the task I located the other 4, all where they were supposed to be. I was just not looking for what I though I was looking for.

I have a bunch of them, all lined up in a drawer. When I'm working on a project, they slowly start walking out of the drawer and sit around various benches (and horizontal surface, really) watching me work. When I'm all done, I round them up and put them back to bed. There are a couple of 100-packs of blades in the drawer, too.
On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 2:57:47 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

as

to run to

nozzle or the

!   :-)

Speaking of dried up caulk and utility knives...
A bunch of years back I came across a full tube of caulk that was dried up solid, end to end. Just for fun I grabbed a utility knife and cut the tube enough to be able to peel it away, leaving me holding a hard, rubbery cylinder of caulk.
First off, the caulk would have made a perfect "blunt instrument" that would have really confused the local Medical Examiner. Slightly rubbery, but hard enough to break a bone or crack a skull.
But that wasn't the most interesting thing. After playing around with it, I noticed that my hands smelled a little funny, although I hadn't noticed tha t caulk itself had any odor at all. I brought it up real close to my nose and took a whiff. The odor was so sharp that I recoiled almost in pain. I moved the caulk just a few inches from my nose and smelled nothing. I brought it closer and recoiled again.
There were a few guys around, so I told them to smell it. The same thing happened to them. A few inches from the nose, nothing. Right up at the nose , pain.
It was the strangest thing. The odor just clung to the caulk and didn't radiate.
On 3/27/2018 4:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Whew! I thought you may have been going another direction with that. ;~)

Where do I send the bill for a new keyboard?