gluing in curves

looking at getting some very thin birch plywood and bending a layer and then gluing a layer to that perhaps repeating for a few or more layers

the missing info is will that bend remain and not break or lose the original form

think of a u shaped head band or hair band

my concern is the glue will not remain flexible but maybe it does not need to

ultimately i will have to experiment but if you have tried this how were the results

Reply to
Electric Comet

A google search for "Bent Laminations" will answer all the questions that you've asked.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

To OP: Two layers of 3/4' birch plywood, curved and laminated. Photos should be self-explanatory:

Swingman

Spend some time reviewing boat building sites. Very common there, have done it myself, eg a laminated stem for a 22' pulling boat I am in the process of building. For approaching or surpassing 90 degrees, I have pre-bent the laminations in hot water before final gluing (actually thickened epoxy) hop ing to minimize the possibility of failure...The sharper the angle, the thi nner, and more plentiful, the laminations...try it and see how it goes...se ems to me you believe in prototypes, here's a situation where it makes perf ect sense...

Reply to
bnwelch

Electric Comet wrote in news:o29fh8$ttj$5 @dont-email.me:

As bnwelch said, this is common thing in boatbuilding. You can find sites which will include tables to tell you how thin you need to cut your wood for different radius curves, and how much springback (the amount of curve you lose when you take the clamps off) you can expect.

BTW this will work better if you use solid wood rather than plywood. Plywood really doesn't care for bending.

John

Reply to
John McCoy