Glueing wood to mirrors

Hi, guys, long time lurker and short time woodworker here. Got a question I can't find the answer to anywhere else, so I thought I'd check here.

My wife and I scroll saw crafts and have been asked to cut out a butterfly with a mirror backdrop. I already have the mirror cut out in a 8 x 10 frame, and a butterfly set cut out of birch plywood. It is a glass mirror.

What do you think the best and neatest way to glue the wood to the mirror without making a mess? Spray adhesive or super glue or what?

thanks for your Help.

Ted

Reply to
Ted L.

I used superglue to fasten a mahogany cross (1/4" thick) to a mirror and its held fine. Just used a drop every few inches and held it in place for a few seconds with no problem at all.

Reply to
John A. Voss

Silicone caulk. It will remain flexible enough to allow dissimilar movement of the materials. It's tacky enough you don't generally need to clamp anything. Can be cut apart in the event of glass breakage.

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ted L.) wrote in news:6367-40883C6C-379@storefull-

3154.bay.webtv.net:

Another "vote" for silicone caulk -- it works perfectly for this type of application.

Reply to
Murray Peterson

Model/hobby shops (R/C planes, etc.) sell some *very* sticky double-sided adhesive tape.

Is wonderful for this kind of thing, cuz it has some 'stretch'/'give' to it, _without_ weakening the bond. Accommodates the differences in thermal and/or humidity-driven expansion of the dissimilar materials.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi