Glue-up jig - how to make non-stick?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Yep, I remember doing that. It worked just fine too. That is until one of the first graders decided that it would be fun to slide down head first, landing on his nose, forhead, chin, etc. The teacher than had us slide down on sand for an entire resess. The slide was never the same after that. :-) Yes, the memories this group brings to mind!

Reply to
John Heacock

Greetings and Salutations....

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:28:01 -0500, Duane Bozarth wrote:

All part of that grand conspiracy to keep us all in diapers for our entire life. After all, it IS in the best interests of those in power to keep the vast majority of citizens ignorant, fearful, and incompetent. Now, having popped out THAT theory...The problem is more that for some reason over the past 30 year or so, Americans have bought into the concept that life can be totally safe. Take my word for it (or not), life is NOT safe. And, in a lot of cases there is NOT a lot we can rationally do to make it less dangerous. In conjunction with that, many folks have developed the belief that when bad things happen it is ALWAYS someone else's responsibility...and that they should get a big compensation for it. That is ONE of the reasons that lawyers drive the new cars and can afford to wear the expensive suits. This sort of attitude is exemplified by the fellow over in Texas who rescued the drowning man, and was immediately arrested and held in jail overnight. His "crime" was to make a decision to go back under water ONE more time to try and get the drowning guy up, instead of following the police instructions to get out of the water. Now, it might have been that if he HAD followed their instructions, the drowning guy would still have been rescued in time. But, I suspect that since the rescue crews were just showing up when he was pulling the guy up, the victim would have been brain dead, and, it would have become more of a body recovery than a rescue. Now...as for the lead paint issue. My parents dealt with the problem by training me NOT to chew on inappropriate things... If a kid is in the habit of scraping paint off of things and eating it, or, picking up flakes of stuff off the ground and eating them, perhaps the attention should be focused more on WHY he or she is doing this obviously inappropriate thing...rather than trying to get rid of ALL stuff like that. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Like some others, I use melamine for my smaller clamping cauls but for my larger ones, I put a strip of clear packing tape on the spruceyfirrypineywood's contact face, wrapping around the edges. No problems at all with yellow glues or poly. I just finished some Ipe glueups with polyglue and used wax paper to protect the work surface. That too worked well and didn't stick.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I dunno Dave. For older children I might agree, but I have yet to meet a child in the 1-2 yr old range who 1) doesn't put nearly everything it can get hold of into its mouth, and 2) is capable of reasoned instruction.

The lead problem for them is real, and that's the age when they're most susceptible.

Even for older children, I would not want to assume that the primary way they ingest this stuff is by picking up chips and chewing on them. Even adults with good reasoning faculties rub up against or come into contact with lead, and it somehow gets on the hands, which easily transfer to nose, mouth, and eyes. Luckily, minor amounts of lead don't affect adults that much (as far as we know at this point), but the consequences are less optimistic for developing children.

As great as lead was for its UV protection etc., I'm glad we've legislated it away for the most part, for childrens' sake.

H.

Reply to
hylourgos

I apply a finish (tung oil or danish oil, whatever is available) to jigs that may come in contact with glue. After a couple days you can apply Johnsons Paste Wax, giving added protection from glue. If you are in a hurry wax paper works well.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll try the wax paper and see how well it works.

Reply to
Dan Major

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:44:06 GMT, Dan Major wrote: try using wax paper or celophane

Reply to
myxpykalix