Glue for Plywood Chairs

Sat, Feb 3, 2007, 4:11pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Mike=A0Peck) doth claimeth: Except Andy said it with much more tact and inspiration and for that I thank him.

I've got inspiation, use it all the time. I've got plenty of tact too, I'm just saving it for when I actually need it.

JOAT Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.

- Johann Von Schiller

Reply to
J T

There just isn't any way that you can get it strong enough just using glue. Your best bet is probably going to be mechanical fasteners through the supports and see how that affects the strength. I wouldn't want to be the first one sitting in the chair though, I can see two possible stress failure points.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

You should be able to hide the fasteners, especially if you're going to pad the seating surface. That's what they make plugs for. :)

As to your other question about taking it apart, once it's glued, your only real option is probably a circular saw along the joint. It should be possible, if you're careful, not to cause much more damage than the 1/8th inch saw blade takes out.

Have you tested to see how much the plywood flexes when someone is sitting on it? It isn't just the joints at the front and rear of the leg that will take stress, but the entire surface of the leg and seat will bow as weight is placed on it. Get someone heavy on the seat and you could get a fracture across either.

Reply to
Brian Henderson