GLOAT!!!GLOAT!!!GLOAT!!!

Hey all, Not to worry, I bought the WWII to use it. In fact, I was concerned about my old Rockwell contractors saw (only 1 1/2 hp) being able to handle that thick Jatoba. I've had problems with it in bogging down with some North American hardwoods, especially thicker Oak, but, to my surprise, it did just fine - never missed a beat. I credit that to the recently purchased WWII. My jointer and planer on the other hand do not like Jatoba. There is a noticeable drop in RPM's when I machine it. My new DW 718 SCMS also drops a little in RPM's as well, but the wood does ultimately machine very nicely. Furthermore, I think this wood will require me to break out and sharpen my neander tools (i.e. cabinet scrapers) to do the final finish work. Somehow I think the ROS just wont do it justice. This stuff has been a real pleasure to work with so far except it's damn heavy. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

I'm almost sure you can get a reasonable quote from a distributor in LA. I'm talking with one here in SD, and they are chopping nice chunks off the price when I told them I could find better prices online and the shipping charges are only $100 (approx.) for the 200bf I'm asking bids for.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

lights easier?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I keep 3 or 4 of the HF blades around, stock up when on sale, etc...

They cut very well for a while, then when they start to dull, I chuck them into the recycle bin and put another $8 blade in... works for my uses..

(of course, since I got the turning bug over a year ago, I can't find my saw anyway... lol )

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Four bucks a tooth is outrageous.

blade is $14. They do all brands. My DeWalt for the CMS came back better than new.

My experience with cheap blades is that they just don't leave a nice finish when needed. May be OK for cutting some frame work, but not for furniture grade applications.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Wider choice of colors?

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Well, it certainly won't match his oak firewood if he tries to _stain_ them both, now will it?

- Brooks

Reply to
Brooks Moses

Do share, I've beem quoted quite a bit more for shipping in those quantities to the PNW..

Alan

Reply to
arw01

Well, I've been using a total from woodworkerssource (?) as encouragement for the local distributors.

Even with their current sale on domestic woods they are putting pressure on them.

What they can't do is let me pick through their stock. :)

Mind you, it may be cheaper to buy wood living in Washington than here in SD.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root