GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY

Been doing some searching for something not even remotely resembling this. But, figured I'd pass it along - it does use some wood. If nothing else, Luigi can make one for an ice fishing shanty, or something. LOL

JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.

Reply to
J T

On 12/4/2005 3:54 PM J T mumbled something about the following:

I had run across those same plans some time back when I was researching plans on geodesic homes. I am planning on building the wife and I a new house in 5-10 years, and have decided to go geodesic, and was planning on using that at the top for the wife's star watching (she has a pretty nice telescope, but was planning on building her a nice 8" or 10" newtonion in her on dome).

Reply to
Odinn

Go with the ten inch. There's no substitute for aperture.

__

FF

Reply to
fredfighter

Go with the ten inch. There's no substitute for aperture.

__

FF

Reply to
fredfighter

Sun, Dec 4, 2005, 7:34pm snipped-for-privacy@ngynagnovxre.arg (Odinn) doth planneth: planning on building her a nice 8" or 10" newtonion in her on dome).

Check out Build Your Own Telescope, b Richard Berry. Five telescope planss, and very easy to understand. I picked up a used copy awhile back, at a very decent price. Heh heh.

JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.

Reply to
J T

Yeah, I'll probably end up with an f/6 with the 10" instead of an f/8 with the 8", which ends up pretty close to the same focal length (~1600mm).

Reply to
Odinn

On 12/5/2005 12:00 AM J T mumbled something about the following:

Thanks, I've already got several plans, including stripping down a Meade and building it like I want :). Definitely going to add in a tracking system that can use the software she already as from Meade, so I might have to just purchase an old Meade that still has the motor setup still working.

Reply to
Odinn

Size counts?

Reply to
Kevin Craig

I knew some wag would interject with a comment along those lines... As long as it fills the aperture, however, size doesn't matter. :-\

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

======================== I'm still mulling over my plans for building my own observatory....since my lot is tree infested and my chain saw would get me in big trouble with the wife my observatory just may end up being placed in the roof of a 6x10 foot cargo trailer... so I can drag the entire thing to a dark sky location..or if I can figure out a "cheap" way to construct a pier up to the roof of my 2 storry garage and isolate the scope from the building...or if I can just build a sky shed with a roll off roof in my front lawn (not too many trees out there).... Need to be cheap so I can afford buy another Negler Eyepiece.. Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 15:54:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) scribbled:

My ice fishing shack was designed from here:

"nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

On 12/6/2005 1:59 AM Luigi Zanasi mumbled something about the following:

Best place for getting the length of struts for 3, 4, 5 and 6 freq domes. I've transfered that info to a spreadsheet so I can do fast calculations and have it converted to feet inches and 64ths.

Reply to
Odinn

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 22:59:11 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Luigi Zanasi quickly quoth:

Oh, silly Canuckistani person, why do you fish for ice?

and finish/paint shack. Hmmm...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

| On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 22:59:11 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, | Luigi Zanasi quickly quoth: | || On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 15:54:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) || scribbled: || |||

|||||| Been doing some searching for something not even remotely ||| resembling this. But, figured I'd pass it along - it does use ||| some wood. If nothing else, Luigi can make one for an ice ||| fishing shanty, or something. LOL || || My ice fishing shack was designed from here: | | Oh, silly Canuckistani person, why do you fish for ice? | | ||
|| Cool. That looks like an interesting way to make a glueup, assembly, | and finish/paint shack. Hmmm...

Could probably assemble with cable ties through holes for temporary use, too...

Morris Dovey

Mon, Dec 5, 2005, 10:59pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@nonet.ca (Luigi=A0Zanasi) did send the words: My ice fishing shack was designed from here:

Canadian yurt, eh? LOL Wish you'd included a link to a picture of it.

JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.

Reply to
J T

Tue, Dec 6, 2005, 9:22am (EST-3) novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com (Larry=A0Jaques) did speak so: Oh, silly Canuckistani person, why do you fish for ice?

Obviously spoken by soneone who thinks ice and fish only come wrapped in plasting from a grocery store.