Garbage for sale at Home Depot

And if you don't have raisins, find some old rat droppings? (ewwww) Her recipe doesn't sound too enticing to me. Raisins' are sweet, and I don't like sweet foods. That's for dessert, not dinner.

I adore tamales. Chicken or beef, I don't eat pork (by choice) and can no longer eat chiles (dad blasted food allergies.)

If so, do it right. Make traditional beef or chicken tamales, not some newfangled yuppie-mex raisin stuff, eh? ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hey, wasn't Swingy just railing on -me- about OT posts?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ah, you've never had a taco de chivo, or lengua burrito, then. Add an agua fresca (horchata (spelling horiblus)). Or Biria de chivo (close enough to a stones album title).

Yum.

Then there is good Thai food (red curry, green curry, yellow curry, pad thai, cachew chicken, honey beef, spring rolls).

Or, as we had today for lunch, Dim Sum. Shu mai, har gow, chicken's feet (delish), turnip cakes with bbq pork bits, bbq pork buns, sticky rice wrapped in lotus leaf, tripe, octopus, sharks-fin dumplings, scallop dumplings und so weiter..

You don't know what your missing!

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Try your whining "political potshots" ... you need to work on your filtering there, "bubba".

Reply to
Swingman
[snip] Do you think anyone in the current (or recent past) administrations knows about "braceros". Can GWB learn from that? j4
Reply to
jo4hn

Not that most Mexican cooks/restaurants use lard much any more...

Yum. (Brain tacos and tongue burritos.) Just don't tell people what's in 'em.

Chicken green curry is my favorite Thai meal of all time. I even grow my own basil and take baggies full of green leaves into the Thai restaurant, getting all sorts of doubletakes (from the customers, waitresses, AND the cooks), then have them add it to the dish instead of those crappy green pepper slices (Urg.) I once weaved in the door, greens-filled baggie dangling from one hand, all squinty eyed, and with a BIG grin on my face. That went over well, too. The waitress I weaved for had asked me if she could smell it before taking it to the cook last time.

Keep your chicken feet. Ever see/smell what those chicks -stand- in?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And if they are really good, lemon grass soup.

Here in SoCal, good dim sum is fairly easy to find, especially in the Chinese neighborhoods.

Just bring your wallet and plan on spending enough time to enjoy it.

IMHO, when you have good dim sum, who needs greasy Mexican?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah, a 40 year old yuppie recipe! They were desert - remember I was 2 to 5 years old at the time and they were a special treat. I do like shredded beef or chicken but being a traditionalist prefer pork tamales. One or two of those and a chile relleno - oh yeah BABY! Chorizo and eggs is another favorite - get the ol' sinuses moving in the A.M . and nary a problem all day.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Given the problems with hydrogenated oils (shortenings) I'd prefer my meals contain lard, butter or olive oil - and that's coming from a now-aware heart patient.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Well, at least with south-of-the border fare you're not hungry an hour after dinner! 'Sides, nothin' goes with a good Marg like... that's right, Mexican food.

(You can take the boy outa the Southwest, but you can't take the Southwest outa the boy.)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

There's this little adobe hut with a dirt floor and a "cafe" sign outside in a little crossroads town in Coahuila about 150 miles south of Piedras Negras ....

Reply to
Swingman

When my sister went to ASU (Tempe, AZ) in '72, her biology class took a look at canned, fully-cooked hams under the microscope. It was fully alive with all sorts of things. Nobody in our family has eaten pork since, with the one exception of the occasional burnt bacon slice.

My caucasian neighbor (Dakota raised) makes a mean relleno and always brings me some when she makes them.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
nospambob